Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    BX2200

Default Lower Link bent

I was using the tractor too move some dirt piles and noticed the scoop was at an odd angle. Closer look and then I saw it. The lower link was bent. This steel on the link is 5/8" thick and it bent. I'll take it to work and see if it can heated up with a torch and straightened out. If not, I'll stop at the dealer after work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    BX2200

Default Re: Lower Link bent

Another picture of the links removed from the tractor.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    NH TC 35 had, now a TC35DA LS25 lawnmower

JonM; Any idea on how that happened? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]You might be better off buying a new link. I believe heating it up to bend back in shape would probably weaken the metal. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    NH2120 RTV500 Bobcat S250

I bent mine and used heat plus some press tricks. Been abused lots since with no problem. Best to get it pressed with no heat if you can. I figure I'd rather deal with a bent link than have something else break.

Tractor
    TC-40D SS New Holland

That arm looks like a pretzel. Might you have bent the arm by pushing in reverse at some point in time? It almost looks like that how the forces bent the arm like your picture shows.

While quite strong otherwise, the 3-point geometry is not made to withstand pushing forces in reverse.

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

how did one link bend so badly without bending the other? or damaging the implement. not sure if i would heat it and TRY and straighen it. don't think you will ever get it back to the right position. if i was you (which i am not) i think i might just get a new one.

Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I was using the tractor too move some dirt piles and noticed the scoop was at an odd angle. Closer look and then I saw it. The lower link was bent. This steel on the link is 5/8" thick and it bent. I'll take it to work and see if it can heated up with a torch and straightened out. If not, I'll stop at the dealer after work. )</font>

Jon, you must have had your dirt-scoop reversed and been backing into your pile of dirt. With that geometry and all four wheels pushing, your turfs must produce a lot of power. Obviously, your links can't take that, so when you get them straight, you might consider adding some additional bracing.

I bent the right link on my tractor when it was new. It turns out that New Holland had a bulletin out that said the metal was too soft on the original arms and they replaced them for me free of charge. Since then, I've not had a problem. Of course, I also haven't lifted the end of anymore 40 ft containers either. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

(see attachment)

Elite Member

That's a prime example of what can happen when one uses a boxblade/dirt scoop in reverse, 3 point hitches are not meant for pushing. A good $100, 20 ton Chinese built shop press would straighten that right out.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Shazam that's bent like a pretzle. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I'd chalk that one up as dead.. If you do bent id back.. weld a gusset to it.

Soundguy

Tractor
    MF 1240, JD 210C TLB

My old Ford 4000 was used as a fiinish grading tractor on job sites and quite often I'd slam a 72" Gannon into a dirt pile at full throttle in reverse with never a problem. What made the difference was that the 3 pt arms had 2 additional braces attached under the wheel axels which formed a triangle on each side of the lower links. I guess those extra arms kept things straight as the arms themselves weren't all that thick, I'd guess ~ 1/2".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast