Lower Link bent

/ Lower Link bent #1  

JonM

Tractor
BX2200
I was using the tractor too move some dirt piles and noticed the scoop was at an odd angle. Closer look and then I saw it. The lower link was bent. This steel on the link is 5/8" thick and it bent. I'll take it to work and see if it can heated up with a torch and straightened out. If not, I'll stop at the dealer after work.

Attachments

• 641973-LinkBent-2005May01-3a.jpg
    641973-LinkBent-2005May01-3a.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 517
   / Lower Link bent
Another picture of the links removed from the tractor.

Attachments

• 641975-LinkBent-2005May01-4a.jpg
    641975-LinkBent-2005May01-4a.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 392
   / Lower Link bent #3  
JonM; Any idea on how that happened? /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gifYou might be better off buying a new link. I believe heating it up to bend back in shape would probably weaken the metal. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Lower Link bent #4  
I bent mine and used heat plus some press tricks. Been abused lots since with no problem. Best to get it pressed with no heat if you can. I figure I'd rather deal with a bent link than have something else break.

/ Lower Link bent #5  
That arm looks like a pretzel. Might you have bent the arm by pushing in reverse at some point in time? It almost looks like that how the forces bent the arm like your picture shows.

While quite strong otherwise, the 3-point geometry is not made to withstand pushing forces in reverse.

/ Lower Link bent #6  
how did one link bend so badly without bending the other? or damaging the implement. not sure if i would heat it and TRY and straighen it. don't think you will ever get it back to the right position. if i was you (which i am not) i think i might just get a new one.

/ Lower Link bent #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I was using the tractor too move some dirt piles and noticed the scoop was at an odd angle. Closer look and then I saw it. The lower link was bent. This steel on the link is 5/8" thick and it bent. I'll take it to work and see if it can heated up with a torch and straightened out. If not, I'll stop at the dealer after work. )</font>

Jon, you must have had your dirt-scoop reversed and been backing into your pile of dirt. With that geometry and all four wheels pushing, your turfs must produce a lot of power. Obviously, your links can't take that, so when you get them straight, you might consider adding some additional bracing.

I bent the right link on my tractor when it was new. It turns out that New Holland had a bulletin out that said the metal was too soft on the original arms and they replaced them for me free of charge. Since then, I've not had a problem. Of course, I also haven't lifted the end of anymore 40 ft containers either. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(see attachment)

Attachments

• 642261-BentLowerLinkArm.JPG
    642261-BentLowerLinkArm.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 242
   / Lower Link bent #8  
That's a prime example of what can happen when one uses a boxblade/dirt scoop in reverse, 3 point hitches are not meant for pushing. A good $100, 20 ton Chinese built shop press would straighten that right out.

/ Lower Link bent #9  
Shazam that's bent like a pretzle. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I'd chalk that one up as dead.. If you do bent id back.. weld a gusset to it.

Soundguy

/ Lower Link bent #10  
My old Ford 4000 was used as a fiinish grading tractor on job sites and quite often I'd slam a 72" Gannon into a dirt pile at full throttle in reverse with never a problem. What made the difference was that the 3 pt arms had 2 additional braces attached under the wheel axels which formed a triangle on each side of the lower links. I guess those extra arms kept things straight as the arms themselves weren't all that thick, I'd guess ~ 1/2".