jd 455 pto solenoid problems

/ jd 455 pto solenoid problems #1  

tinder

the wires to the pto solenoid burnt out due to overheating and after replacing the solenoid and valve the engine still cuts out as soon as i engage the pto.all fuses are ok and i wonder if there is a relay or anything else i should check out?
many thanks in advance

/ jd 455 pto solenoid problems #2  
I'm not at all familiar with that system, but it sounds as if the mechanism that is engaged by the solenoid is frozen/partly frozen up. I suspect that it should freewheel when not engaged...needs some troubleshooting.

/ jd 455 pto solenoid problems #3  
Welcome to the forum.
Check to see that the seat switch is hooked back up. It acts like that when it isn't, and it is easy to miss it (beenthere).

/ jd 455 pto solenoid problems #5  
My problem might be "me" or firefox, but I couldn't get your link to load...
I also agree it sounds like the seat switch could be the problem.

/ jd 455 pto solenoid problems #7  
What does the seat switch do? It sounds as if the pto fails to turn after a clutch is engaged by a solenoid, thereby killing the engine or, eventually, burning up the wiring.

/ jd 455 pto solenoid problems #8  
If one is not in the seat, and the brake pedal is 'down', one can start the engine. But if you engage the PTO, while not in the seat, the engine will kill. So far, that is how you described the situation.

If you are in the seat, and the seat switch isn't hooked up, it is in the same configuration as you not being in the seat.

If you know the seat switch is functioning, then it is something else. But if the seat switch wasn't hooked up, that is what it could be. maybe, by chance, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ jd 455 pto solenoid problems
it is not the seat switch and if i manually engage the pto by pushing in the valve spring it works fine

/ jd 455 pto solenoid problems #10  
So, what is supposed to push in the valve spring?