Leaking Fuel Lines

/ Leaking Fuel Lines #1  

jimhoodag

I have flexible fuel lines on my Mitsubishi 2201 diesel that slowly leak. Since they only leak a few drops, should I replace them with metal lines or with more flexible lines? If so, how do I know the type of lines, size, and length?

/ Leaking Fuel Lines #2  
The fuel lines leak? Or do the fittings on the end leak? Fuel lines that are flexible on a Diesel are usually the supply lines from the tank to the fuel injection unit.

There is nothing inherently wrong with flexible lines used on your tractor. Solid metal lines are a real hassle to install and may not be the best solution. Sometimes you need the flexible lines as a vibration isolation. For instance between the motor and the frame mounted fuel tank. Braided lines look flashy but offer little more as a replacement for a plain old stock black hose low pressure line. I've found that unless you can get a pre-made, fittings attached, exact fit then braided hose it isn't worth the fabrication hassle to put a braided line in.

You need to post more information, or pictures, to really get a good diagnosis. But, here are a couple of stabs in the dark.

The fuel line is actually leaking. You could have a wear point in the flexible line where the line was vibrating against some solid metal. Neither a braided line or solid line will fix this, you'll need to replace the line and re-route the line and tie-wrap it down so it doesn't vibrate against any fixed objects.

You may have a fitting leak and the fuel is running down the hose and dripping from the low point on the line. Closely inspect the end fittings and see if they are loose. You'll find a slow leak using clean rags to check and then re-check the fittings. Take a dry rag/paper towel and wipe the line and fittings. Come back and do the same a day later. The damp spots are the source of the leak. If you get fuel wipe off (a damp spot) and it is a high point on the line, you may have a leaking joint. In any case, check both the fitting attachment to the hose and the fitting to the fixture. If the attachment to the hose is a crimp fitting and appears bad you'll have to replace the line.

Don't rule out that the tank is leaking and then flowing down onto the fuel line (over all the fittings). On old motorcycles this usually the cause for fuel leaks.

/ Leaking Fuel Lines #3  
Well duh, I guess I ought to actually answer your question about sizing. Take the leaking line off the tractor and take it to a well equipped auto supply. Look for a shop has knowledgable real counter staff, not your basic parts clerk. In my town we have a shop that deals with heavy equipment. A shop that does hydraulic lines would be ideal. Anyway, a properly equipped parts supply will make up a replacement hose with crimped fittings on the spot.

Good luck.

/ Leaking Fuel Lines #4  
My last rig was equipped with flexible fuel lines. At the point where they looked like they might have started leaking is where I decided to replace them. Since the steel banjo ends were special we cut them off and reused them. Took the line to our local Auto Zone and they matched them up and fixed us up with stainless steel screw clamps to put it all back together.

It wasn't a hard job and it didn't take a lot of money to make an effective repair.

/ Leaking Fuel Lines #5  
Are these lines from the injection pump to the injectors or are they return lines from the inectors to the fuel tank. If they are return lines, I replaced mine with chainsaw gas line tubing back in 97. No problems since. You will need to take one off to match the size.