thread sealant on hyd drain plug(s)?

/ thread sealant on hyd drain plug(s)? #1  

44trxfun

Gold Member
Tractor
MF GC2300
This may be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. My manual says when changing hydraulic fluid to

"Apply sealant to threads on drain plug(s) and reinstall."

I have liquid teflon and teflon tape. Any advice on which to use? Should the hydraulic filter screen threads get treated also, or just the drain plug?

/ thread sealant on hyd drain plug(s)? #2  
I'm going to help you but you gotta do the work. Click on the search link just to the right of the main index link. Type in "hydraulic thread sealant opinions" and tab down and choose all posts. Your question will be answered many times over. I would just use it on the drain plug, if at all.

/ thread sealant on hyd drain plug(s)? #3  
If you don't do the search then here is what I use. Master Plumber TFE Paste. It is teflon paste good for up to 10,000 psi on liquids and 3000 psi on gas. Most hardware stores carry it. A 4oz supply will last a lifetime and cost about $5. Only the drain plug needs the paste.

DO NOT use teflon tape.

/ thread sealant on hyd drain plug(s)?
Well, Oliver, I tried "sealant" which I thought woulda returned a LOT of threads (no pun intended) but I only got a handful and I checked those out. There was no option to go to the "next" page. I'll try your way, but if I didn't pick 'em up with "sealant", I doubt I'm going to get more by adding additional words. Maybe the search feature isn't working properly? Thanks for the suggestion though...

/ thread sealant on hyd drain plug(s)? #5  
I wouldn't know for what reason, unless this is an aluminum pan with a steel plug, or some combination. Never would of thought to even think about doing such a thing. I do know that I don't tighten the drain plug real tight, but just good and snug. One doesn't want to gall the threads, and maybe the thread sealant helps prevent that. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ thread sealant on hyd drain plug(s)? #6  
I typed in SEALANT. Selected all forums, and all post. Got many pages of hits. But this one was the best. Click Here Madreferee said the same thing in this thread. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ thread sealant on hyd drain plug(s)?
I'm not sure where my search went astray, but thanks to all who responded.

/ thread sealant on hyd drain plug(s)? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A 4oz supply will last a lifetime and cost about $5.

You must have a short lifetime, my tube will only last about a half year before I need to get a more.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
<font color="black"> </font> <font color="black"> </font>

/ thread sealant on hyd drain plug(s)? #9  
Different strokes for different folks. Personally we have never used thread sealant of any type of drain plug. These are not tapered threads so the shoulder or copper gasket/crush washer that some use makes the seal anyway. never lost any oil due to the drain-plug either so we must be doing something right.

Now my son who used to work in a Honda Dealership was taught to put a very small amount of RTV sealant on the replaceable gasket/crush washer on his drain plug. I think it would be a good seal even without the RTV but we all have our own ideas.