Safety Circuit?

/ Safety Circuit? #1  

JazzDad

Gold Member
Tractor
Main: Case 235
Well, this one's got me baffled. To start my JD F-525, the brake must be set and the (electric) PTO must be off. The unit starts, but as soon as I disengage the brake it shuts down. Again, if it's running, and I engage the PTO, it quits. I think it must be a part of the safety circuit. I've checked out the brake switch and seat switch. I've looked for a wire that might have fallen off. When I last put the mower away (just a week ago) it was working fine. It has to be electrical, because as soon as I push down the brake peddle or release the PTO, it catches and starts running again (as long as the engine hasn't stop spinning). I don't think that anything is bound up, because the engine doesn't abruptly stop. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

/ Safety Circuit? #2  
Seat switch would have been my guess... check all the safety switches again.. might have a broke wire.. and just ahrd to see.

good luck

Soundguy

/ Safety Circuit? #3  
JazzDad,

I agree with Soundguy. It sounds like the seat switch.
Did you disconnect the switch and put a wire across the 2 terminals to test?

I looked up the troubleshooting guide and it said this can also occur if the Seat switch not being actuated due to seat spring adjustment being too stiff. Did you check or adjust the seat?

Brian

/ Safety Circuit?
Thanks Chris and Brian. The seat switch was my first guess. The prior owner had it jumped with a wire, so he may have had problems with this switch before. I put a VOM on it, but as I think on this more, that may not have been sufficient. Perhaps in the horizontal position the switch doesn't work, but vertically (when I test it) it works. It might be some flakes of rust not allowing contact to be made. With both of you saying the same think, I'll need to pursue that avenue a little more. Thanks. Other opinions are still welcomed...