L4200 PTO shaft replacement

/ L4200 PTO shaft replacement #1  

twinbird

Has anyone every replaced a pto shaft in a Kubota? I am wondering if I have to split the rear end apart in order to do it.The collar that connects the pto shaft to the mid shaft is hitting the ring gear in the rear end and I can't get it to slip on . Any thoughts?

/ L4200 PTO shaft replacement #2  
I have not gotten this deep into the Kubota transmission,but reading the book on removing the PTO shows the tranmission is dis-assembled and on page 3-S50 talking about the shaft remove the internal sanp ring, then tap out the shaft to the front and the picture shows a tranmission laying on the floor.
How did you damage your PTO?
Trust this helps in making a choice whether to pay some one else or go into the learning mode. I have a 3600 and the same book is for both sizes tractors.
Friday the 13th. isn't a good day to remove transmissions. se'ya ken

/ L4200 PTO shaft replacement #3  
Wow.. that soulds like a pretty complicated pto shaft replacement procedure. Makes me really appreciate my old ford. 4 bolts and 15 minutes and I can R&R my pto shaft... park nose down in a ditch and don't even loose any oil.

Soundguy

/ L4200 PTO shaft replacement
The operator of the tractor engaged the pto at FULL throttle , hence my broken shaft. He no longer works for us. I don't have the workshop manual but I'll have to find one before I tear into the rear end.

/ L4200 PTO shaft replacement #5  
Yep.. hence the saying.. " Use it like it belongs to someone else"... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

We had a similar problem.. a worker was using our jd 2240 and hitched up a pto powered tiller without checking driveline lenght.. lifted it to max.. pushed in the pto shaft ( tractor side), seal, and bearings.. ruined the live pto clutch.. etc. I'd guess about 900$ worth of work and a tractor split for me and the mechanic to do that weekend.

Good luck.

Soundguy

Yeah I'm not looking forward to tearing apart this rear end and/or transmission, thats why I'm waiting for the manual. But my biggest concern is the weight of these parts. I'm pretty sure the rear wheel alone weights like 300 or 400 pounds.

/ L4200 PTO shaft replacement #7  
I would think the pto assembly could be removed by merely removing the cover plate, if it has one.

/ L4200 PTO shaft replacement #8  
Save your back.. if your rims detach from the centers, break them down to make smaller pieces..

Soundguy

/ L4200 PTO shaft replacement #9  
haven't seen the results of replacing the pto shaft,I know it took over a month to receive the repair manuel after buying it. I have looked at my L3600 and doesn't appear to be removable from the rear.
se'ya ken

After talking to the guy at the kubota dealership I was able to get it changed without splitting the rear end.(thank god).It did however involve a large hammer and a piece of wood. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif