Removing PTO shaft w/ heat - will Mapp torch work?

/ Removing PTO shaft w/ heat - will Mapp torch work? #11  
I agree.. either get it setup using a soft bolt, after dressing those shaft surfaces.. or use a torque limiter.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Removing PTO shaft w/ heat - will Mapp torch work? #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It's off! It took a soaking in BP Blaster, a 5lb sledge and a bad day at work. The bad day work sent me home in a foul mood and beating the crap out of that shaft felt great! I'm sure I would have stopped much sooner any other day. But once I saw a tiny bit of movement, I just didn't want to stop. Only took about 20 minutes of constant pounding. Boy do I feel better! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I do have a question. The shaft was keyed, but there was also a shear bolt. For safety, should there be one and not the other? I always though it was just held on by a shear bolt. There is no slip clutch.

Thanks, )</font>

If there is no snap ring on the end of the shaft DO NOT use just a shear bolt. If you shear the bolt there is nothing to keep the PTO shaft from sliding off the gearbox input shaft while it is spinning at 540+ RPM. If the shaft has a key way and a bolt hole it is setup for a slipclutch only. Someone probably had clutch trouble and took the cheap way out.
Put a new slip clutch on the mower using both the key and bolt. <font color="red"> </font>

/ Removing PTO shaft w/ heat - will Mapp torch work? #13  
He can always drill near the end of the shaft and tap it for a small set screw.. then he will be good to go..

Soundguy