Help identify a PTO shaft

/ Help identify a PTO shaft #1  

ChuckT

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1510D
Elsewhere you may have seen my postings about a jammed PTO "Push-Pull" Quick Disconnect.

So far I have not made any progress getting it loose, off or replaced. Partially because I can seem to find parts. I'm wondering if the problem might be that I have not identified the PTO Shaft properly.

The manual I got from the dealer for the shaft is for Walterscheid PTO shafts & fittings. The illustrations pretty-much match what the shaft & couplings look like. (I'm really great at reading pictures, especially center-folds - must be a guy thing.)
But I'm having so little luck finding parts for this coupler that I'm wondering just what the dealer sold me - is it really a Walterscheid PTO shaft? How can I tell? Is there a builder's ID on PTO shafts? What would it look like?

cvt /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Help identify a PTO shaft #2  
Car Quest here in Oregon has a line of Ag driveshaft parts, if you have a Car Quest in your area ask for a NEAPCO catalog and it has all the info on how to identify all the different parts

/ Help identify a PTO shaft #3  
When I had a problem with my PTO, I took it to a auto machine shop to see if they could break the u-joints loose. They sent me to a local shop that specalized in universial joints. They were extremely helpful - even told me to buy a replacement at a farm store because that would be cheaper than them fixing the old one. I never knew these guys existed. You might check to see if your local transmission shop/truck repair could help or give you information on a nearby speciality shop.

Good luck,

/ Help identify a PTO shaft
I looked at a Neapco catalogue. At a dealer & on-line but I didn't see anything that specifically said, if such & such, this is a nmnmn PTO shaft. I'll look again

cvt

Four pictures of the Front and the Rear Push-Pull Quick Disconnect are posted in the album I called "Judi's YM1510D".

cvt

I have added 5 more pictures to the album.

Also read the PTO shield - it says "Waltersheid" & 2200. I was thinking that the shaft was a 2100 series. 'Don't know that that makes & whole lot of anything though.

Oh, yeah - still jammed. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

cvt

/ Help identify a PTO shaft #7  
I have a similar PTO shaft on my tiller. Pulling the 3-step collar toward the u-joint should release it from the output and input shaft. There are balls inside of the collar. They may be rusted in place. Have you tried to use PB Blaster to loosen up rusted parts?

/ Help identify a PTO shaft #8  
I have a JD 820 hay conditioner that has the same style shaft as you showed in your pictures. It has the sleeve that has to be pulled back to slide the coupling on the shaft.

I looked at the Walterscheid PTO shafts & fittings site and see one of the clutches in the picture is what's on my NH 254 rake/ teddar.

If you have a JD dealership near you, drop by and ask to see the drawing on the conditioner shaft I listed above and see if it's the same. It sure looks like the one I have from the picture.

This saga is about to end!

The PTO shaft is off & in the garage to be prep'd for surgery. My CFO (aka wifey-poh) said "Why are you even bothering? The thing has a warranty - take it back to the dealer!" I knows good advice when it bangs me on the ear enough.

So it seems the dealer, nameless for the nonce - read on, is open on Sat. A.M. & I hied myself and the Befco there this morning. The mecannix looks at it, mutters a bit, prys on it a bit, then goes off and gets a hand-sledge and a BIG brass drift (I've go to get me one of those!). He raps on one side of the end yoke, rotates the shaft 180, raps some more and hey-presto the PTO shaft is off! I've really got to get me one of those!

One of those situations where I'm thinking - "I could have done that." and I could've. The trick is knowing that a hammer, a brass drift, & a few taps will work. That's called experience.

So the shaft is off & I go by the Parts desk to ask if they can get the innards of the coupling? "Sorry no-can-do." Turns out Befco didn't sell their deck with this kind of PTO Q/R yoke! Hmm. I'm not sure what that means. So I won't mentioned the dealer.

The Parts guy sends me over to a drive-shaft shop (also open on Sat. morning, weird) and the parts guy there just laughed.

A) maybe he could get the parts.
B) it would be monday before he could even find out
C) he doesn't like those Q/R yokes anyway - the "pin" Q/Rs stand up better on Ag equipment.
D) Here's your problem - there's burrs or something keeping two of the three detent balls from retracting. Remove the snap ring, clean the burrs out with a mini-grinder, re-assemble with light grease & you'll be good-to-go. Otherwise
E) take off these ^%**& yokes & replace them with American!

I think I've been there before. So tomorrow I'll get out the snap-ring pliers & a Dremel and have a go at it.

I'll post some pix to show what I find. Anybody want to put $ on powder-coat in the detent bores?

cvt /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif