cracked block

/ cracked block #1  

mitchell574

Tractor
ih 574
I have a problem with a crack in the bolt hole that holds the front end on. Oil is forced out . If I cover the crank case vent it is worse. I cleaned the crank case breather. NO LUCK! The bolt hole was repaired with a welded in ready rod so loctite is not a solution. Need to know if there is an oil additive that some one could recommend that would seal the crack from the inside.I bought this IH 574 tractor out of a pecan tree for a $100. It was in three pieces and all parts complete. This tractor is completely reassembled and running but the oil leak is a major concern

/ cracked block #2  
If you can see the crack from the outside I'd sure try some JB Weld on it. Clean the area real good before applying. There shouldn't be any pressure from the oil system there and JB Weld should stop the leak.

I have a radiator that had a crack where the neck connected to the main body. Used JB Weld and let it cure the correct time before running the tractor. That was 3 years ago now and it's holding well.

So clean well, apply JB Weld and give it time to cure. If it doesn't work you're not out of a bunch of money. If it does stop the leak you'll be grinning. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ cracked block #3  
Brazing from the inside or out may work. Also.. there are some pretty neat solder allow sticks out there that do pretty good on pot metal.. ( alumalloy? ) Can be done with a propane torch.

As for jbweld.. gotta clean that oil off good.. try carb cleaner... and use the 4 minute jb weld... mix it up.. let it get where it is sticky.. and ahve that crack cleaned and put that 4 minute stuf on thin as a top coat.. let it set a day.. then go over with regualr jbweld let it cure a day.. then check..

Soundguy

/ cracked block #4  
mitchell574, I dont think you will find a mechanic in a can/tube that will give you a long term fix. Sounds like you have put a lot of work into it. If you could post a couple of pic's ?/....you might be able to get some more sure fix ideas.

If the problem area is expanding when temp. increases? ....the stuff you put on it will not hold. If the area is flexing?? ... It will not hold. Just a couple of things to think about while you are putting your plan of attack together.

Ronald

/ cracked block
This crack is on the inside. Any brazing will require some disassembly. Such as front end hood loader front cover oil pan. JBWeld not good in oil.I sure liked that mechanic in the can idea.My kid is off to Afganastan Tuesday 6-5-05 tractor on the back burner.

/ cracked block #6  
<font color="blue"> My kid is off to Afganastan Tuesday </font>

I'd like to wish your son good luck over there. One of my employees just came back from a year at Camp Phoenix, just outside of Kabul. She actually won't be coming back to her job, she intends to go to college and become a nurse. But she did report back frequently. If your son is stationed at a permanent base, he'll probably have internet access and some of the comforts of home. Several of the bases there actually have plywood buildings & barracks. I've also got an employee in Iraq and his living conditions are nothing nearly as good as the soldiers we have in Afghanistan.

Anyway, I know it is off topic, but I wanted to wish your son the best and please let him know that there are plenty of us who really appreciate the work our soldiers do for us.

/ cracked block #7  
Yes, tell him to be careful, good luck, and thanks from me too. I'm sure your very proud of him, as us Vets are too. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ cracked block
Thank You for the post. We know that we are only one family of many going through this. God hands are on him. Prayer Warriors welcomed

/ cracked block #9  
I agree....that tractor ain't going no where !!!....... be with your son. May God Bless Him.

Ronald

/ cracked block #10  
<font color="blue"> My kid is off to Afganastan Tuesday 6-5-05 </font>

Please wish him well for me.