New Muffler = More Power & Higher RPMs

/ New Muffler = More Power & Higher RPMs #1  

BB_TX

Veteran Member
Home-1+ acres New Hope, TX / 24 acres-Fannin Count
Tractor
JD 950
The muffler on my JD 950 had needed to be replaced for several years. Probably the original. It rattled inside and I welded up a few holes that had burned thru on the top. But I had balked at the nearly $200 dollars to replace it. However, a low tree limb made the decision for me. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Now. The rest of the story. Before when I pushed the throttle all the way with no load on the tractor, the engine would rev until the tach hit the MAX RPM mark and go no higher. With the rotary cutter attached and mowing, it would to to RATED RPMs and no higher. I assumed that was by design. I put the new muffler on Saturday and hooked up the rotary cutter to mow. The first thing I noticed was how much quieter it was. But as I started mowing, it seemed too quiet and the engine didn't seem to be running as fast or working as hard. I looked at the tach and it was well past the MAX RPM mark. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I had to back off the throttle to get back down to the RATED line. When I mowed thru some particularly thick, green, heavy grass in a low area that usually makes me have to slow down, I went thru it with barely a drop in RPMs. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif This should cut my mowing time considerably.
Apparently the rusted out muffler was either creating too much back pressure, or maybe not enough, for the engine to work correctly. I should have done it long ago.

/ New Muffler = More Power & Higher RPMs #2  
I had the same thing happen on a car once. It had duals and I noticed nothing seemed to be coming out one side. The muffler rusted out on the inside and collapsed, nearly blocking exhaust flow. I put a new muffler on and it ran much better. I bet the same thing happened to your tractor.

Rodger

/ New Muffler = More Power & Higher RPMs #3  
A failed catalytic converter will also effect the fuel mileage of your car.

/ New Muffler = More Power & Higher RPMs #4  
Most cats are killed as opposed to failed or just wore out---too rich fuel, hotrodding, dead cylinder(s), thermal shock etc.

/ New Muffler = More Power & Higher RPMs #5  
This was on a Lincoln Town car, no hot rodding allowed /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

/ New Muffler = More Power & Higher RPMs #6  
Mud dawber nest in a weed eater exhuast will do the same thing... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif