Made my own bushings for chinese backhoe

/ Made my own bushings for chinese backhoe #1  

Bigbear

Silver Member
Tractor
Jepe 354
If you own a chinese backhoe and use it very much, you know how fast the plastic bushings wear out. They do not even install grease zerks (at least on mine). After talking with 2 machine shops and getting quotes of about 400 to 600 bucks for new bushings made of steel and adding zerks, I decided to buy a 3 and 1 machine for 599.00 plus some tooling, 1000 dollars total and make my own. Two sets would more than pay for my investment and the machine can also be used in my woodworking business Bears Wood Shop . The little machine has its limits, but really does a good job. It makes tractor fixin fun. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 687522-6-27-04 525.jpg
    687522-6-27-04 525.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 541
   / Made my own bushings for chinese backhoe #2  
A lathe, drill and some good hard wood would also make bushings. They could even be designed to accept grease.

In past wooden blocks were used for bearings in a number of machines.

Egon

/ Made my own bushings for chinese backhoe #3  
My Craftsman snow blower uses wooden bushings on the main shaft. I was quite surprised when I got a set of replacements. I guess I can't speak too highly of them as I had to replace them after about five years of light use. No provisions for grease may have contributed to early failure /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Made my own bushings for chinese backhoe #4  
<font color="blue">If you own a chinese backhoe and use it very much, you know how fast the plastic bushings wear out </font>

Plastic bushings, really??? That seems extremely underdesigned for a backhoe. Were all the bushings plastic or just some?

Nice job on the replacements /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Made my own bushings for chinese backhoe #5  
Hey nice job! Its a lot of fun too, I've used my old lathe for so many things, handy tool that you'll always be glad you have.

Those bushings look nice, if it were me I'd give em a little heat treatment, nothing too technical, maybe just heat them cherry red and quench them is light oil.

/ Made my own bushings for chinese backhoe
Thanks RobS, on mine, all joints except the ones where the hydraulic cylinders attach were plastic, even on the BOOM swing. I found some Delrin type material from a local supplier and made some from it, (on the wood lathe) same result, about an hour use and they were shot. I have about 8 hours on the new bushings, boom pins and spacers and they seem to be fine.

Syncro, I thought I would try the first set without any heat treat and see which wore first, pin or bushings. I turned them using very little lube, or coolant, so they are kinda work hardened. I have since made a coolant flood from an old fish tank pump with a foam wrap as a filter, fluid goes into a plastic tub, (under lathe) and back up. Probably won't last long, but the price was right. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Made my own bushings for chinese backhoe #7  
That's a great looking job I plan on doing the same. I don't know much about metalworking but for the price of new pins I'm going to learn. What type of steel did you use?

Thanks,
Jim

/ Made my own bushings for chinese backhoe
Thanks jimlk3045, the steel I believe was plain old cold rolled, turned really easy. I just dug another 100 + feet of water line trench today (4 foot deep), and everything is working great. The addition of grease zerks has made all the difference in the world and bushings that will take grease. I don't do this machine work for a living, but if you ever need a pin or bushing made in a pinch, I would be more than happy to help, and the cost will not hurt either. I was a machinest for a few years and I really miss not being able to make parts from metal, but the little machine opens up new doors.

/ Made my own bushings for chinese backhoe #9  
What kind of 3 in one did you get? I've been saving to buy a Lathemaster 8X14 mini lathe,but everytime I get close the kids need some major medical that insurance doesn't want to pay for!? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Post a picture of it so I can drool some more!