good place to find old john deere 14t baler parts

/ good place to find old john deere 14t baler parts #1  

Tim_in_IA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610HSD, Mahindra 6500 4WD, JD 440ic crawler, 2 560 farmalls.
I've been bringing a 14T back to life that hasn't been used in years. When I started it was shearig bolts all the time, so I retimed it. Looked like it was going to work great and then a chain link broke and left the needles in the way of the feeder teeth. Broke off the inside needle when the feeders came down. Long story short, needle was $115 from john deer (baler was $250, so you see my dillema /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). I know there are a ton of scrap yards around with parts, like this, but is there anyplace online where you can specify what used part you are looking for? If I had more time I could have waited around for a junk 14t for parts, but I am already behind with the hay for this year. Ideas?

Thanks!

/ good place to find old john deere 14t baler parts #2  
Good luck on finding parts. I just bought a 14T on a sale a few weeks ago. Luckily, I haven't had as many problems. I baled 14 bales and then sheared a pin on the chain feed. Still haven't figured out how to get it to work properly. I'll be following this thread to see if anyone has some good sources.

I understand that was a good baler and should be able to be servicable for many more years. Now if we can just find a source for the parts.

/ good place to find old john deere 14t baler parts
I'm sure this is going to be a good baler as my father used to run them. He never had this much trouble with them but I don't think the guy that owned this one before knew how to maintain it. It was seriously out of time. It would have been great if the chain had not failed, now that I think about it I should have put new cotter pins in instead of reusing the old ones. they probably snapped when it was running and the link slid out and broke, leaving the needle vulnerable. I'm learning a lot this way though.

/ good place to find old john deere 14t baler parts #4  
I bought a 14t last summer and finally got it working decently just after labor day so we got one cutting baled with it anyhow.

I would replace the chains on it with new ones and use new master link the next time you have to work on it, chains are cheap as are the links. The old chains have stretched and are prone to breaking...

Some 14T parts show up on ebay, you can also go to google.com and put in "implement salvage" to find a bunch of implement salvage yards, you might try contacting them.

Those needles can be welded, I read a message last year from a guy that had a pair of welded needles that worked fine.

www.ytmag.com has a lot of info about older balers, look in the implement forum.

/ good place to find old john deere 14t baler parts #5  
I am not sure where Jones City is in Eastern Iowa, but Montecello has a good dealer with parts. There is also a good welder who likely could repair the old needles. It has been a long time since I rebuilt any baler, but I have not found it hard to get parts. DeWitte also has a good dealer for parts. As far as a good mechanic, the best I know still lives in Edgewood Iowa, but I am not sure he still repairs balers.

johan3400, it is jones county not city, and monticello is 6 miles from me. The dealer you speak of is the same dealer with the expensive needle.

I also frequent the machine shop that you spoke of, but before the needle was broken it was bent beyond repair.

The problem with the dealers is the high cost for parts. I was looking more towards the salvage yards. I understood that there was one in the davenport area but the owner died and the parts were sold for metal weight and junked out.

The chains are in good shape and seat properly in the gears. The place where it broke was the link chain and I think it was a result of some brittle cotter pins.

The needle was severly bent and tweaked before breaking, which took welding out of the picture. I'll have to do the implement salvage search on google.

I also have posted on and off on ytmag.com. I got a huge amount of info about the baler from there.

/ good place to find old john deere 14t baler parts #8  
There is a salvage yard east of Maquoketa. I am not sure they have any 14t parts. There is also one in Volga. I am going by one of them today or tomorrow and will just check. I will PM you if I find anything. There is also a salvage yard near Iowa Falls.

johan3400,

That's great info. Thank you!

/ good place to find old john deere 14t baler parts #10  
You could try Wengers or Valu-Bilt. They may have something kicking around.

My brother bought two 14Ts last summer to play around with. They are really good machines, albeit maybe a little worn out now.