Mower Deck corroded through at blade spindle

/ Mower Deck corroded through at blade spindle #1  

MDVDuber

Hello, I have an older (mid 80's?) Ariens GT17 tractor with a 48" mower deck. Unfortunately the deck has finally corroded/worn through where one of the blade spindles mounts. That blade/spindle had dropped down and it is impossible to use the deck.

When I look at it I can imagine that welding a plate onto it would fix the issue and allow the continued use of the mower deck - the local Ariens dealer tells me otherwise - and suggests I buy a $500 deck replacement. I've also not had any luck finding a used deck that would fit.

Does anyone have a suggestion for this? It's still a pretty good tractor for it's age and I'd hate to have to retire/sell it because I can't mow with it anymore.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

/ Mower Deck corroded through at blade spindle #2  
Hello and welcome to TBN…
Lots of mower decks are still being used after welding patches on them. Just measure twice, and weld a flat plate to support your spindles, re-drill their mounting holes and paint. You should be able to do this as many times as your deck frame will stand… Good luck & good mowing /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. KennyV.

/ Mower Deck corroded through at blade spindle #3  
Just do as stated above and you will be all set for another 20+ years. My parts guy told me that I couldn't rebuild my $59.95 mower spindles. I just bought 10 bearings on Ebay for under $20.00 delivered to rebuild them.

/ Mower Deck corroded through at blade spindle #4  
Of course a dealer would tell you not to repair it. He would rather sell you a new mower /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The deck should be able to be reapired as Kenny and Jim stated. You might want to consider painting the deck with a good rust preventive paint after the repair.

Ben

/ Mower Deck corroded through at blade spindle #5  
You may be able to....... if there is enough good metal in the right places to weld to after you prep it.

Keep in mind with the placement of the new steel. If not carefull you can change somethings...like pulley and belt alignment, cutting height of blade, now my belt is to long or to short.

I am useing the IMAGINE thing here also. ......mabe try to fabricate bracing and or bracking so that you can imagine the fabrication just holding it where it is suppose to be ??

Not after looking pretty now......but with your bracking I would try to attach to the deck with small spot welds and use bolts, lock nuts, nice sized flat washers. If I have holes that need to stop grass......sheet metal with as much over lap that is needed and 3/16 pop rivets. Maybe could add new spindle attaching holes also?????

I would have to try something.

Ronald

/ Mower Deck corroded through at blade spindle
Thanks! We have a newer Cub Cadet 2206 that we can use for mowing chores - but the Ariens is just such a beefy tractor (perfect for mowing the rougher sections of the property), and had such utility otherwise that I can't see letting her go.

Now to get that welder set up in the garage... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Mower Deck corroded through at blade spindle #7  
Fabrication!!! Absolutely!! I had a very old Ward's tractor with a deck that gave out. My son-in-law fabbed one up from the scrap from his shop! Swapped over the hardware, and it looked just like the original! Measure where the spindle is at before you remove it all. Cut out the old, weld in the new. Check the condition of the others while you're there.