Massey Ferguson FEL Cylinder Seal Replacement

/ Massey Ferguson FEL Cylinder Seal Replacement #1  

pknchap123

I developed a leak in my 1984 Model 236 Massey Ferguson FEL. I'm a newbie and the local service shop wanted $100 - $150 labor plus packing. Is this out of line? I have the cylinder off. It seems like a pretty quick job? Is it something reasonable to try myself?

/ Massey Ferguson FEL Cylinder Seal Replacement #2  
Hello, good evening and welcome...

I don't think that is a bad cost estimate, IF all you need is seals. Old cylinders can present other problems that require additional parts to properly correct. Did the shop actually see the cylinder?

Lets look at it this way... if you can get the cylinder open and take a look at what is involved in re-sealing then you can be the judge as to whether this is a job for you. It's not rocket science but you might have to be resourcefull. You may not have the necessary tools.
The average seal kit for my backhoe is around $45.- retail, the dealer mentioned 3 hours at $75.- per for labor. That probably includes removing the worst cylinder to get at.
I figured it wouldn't be any more broken if I tried but couldn't do the job. It doesn't take 3 hours to re-seal. I didn't meet with any insurmountable difficulty.
You must be the judge of your abilities.
All the best,
Martin