g1800 broken drive shaft.

/ g1800 broken drive shaft. #1  

lobster

I have a g1800 4 wheel turning diesel. Last week when I was mowning the u joint on the drive shaft broke /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I ordered the new drive shaft, yoke, and u joints and replaced the drive shaft. when I started the mower everything seemed fine until I tried to use the hydrostat. the pin on the back of the drive shaft broke and the drive shaft came off. Is there something wrong with the transmission, hyrostat, etc that is causing the
drive shaft to lock up and come off? I was going to change the transmission fluid and clean the screen tonight to see if that is the problem, but I am afraid of breaking the drive shaft or something worse if there are other problems. ????

/ g1800 broken drive shaft. #2  
It would seem so. I've never had any problem with mine, but I change the fluids and filters and clean the screen religiously. If it were mine, I would take a close look at the HST system before trying to engage the PTO again. Good luck with it and please post what you find.

/ g1800 broken drive shaft.
After inspecting the rear yoke it looks like it needs to be replaced too which would explain why the darn thing came off to begin with. I ordered a new yoke for the rear of the drive shaft. Ill let you know if that did the trick.

/ g1800 broken drive shaft. #4  
How did you get the drive shaft out?