Mixed DexCool with the green stuff !

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
Well, my NH TC30 was a bit low on coolant. Ok, quite a bit low. The petcock leaks and I've not found sufficiant motivation to get under there and fix it. It drips on the barn floor and leaves a small green puddle. So, I ended up being about 2 qts low on coolant. The only coolant I had on hand was the DexCool that I use in my cars (orange stuff). Not knowing, there could be a compatibility issue, I topped off the radiator with a 50/50 mix of DexCool and water. Now, I've heard that you should never mix the two coolants because they will combine and gel. I did this about 4 weeks ago and have only run about 4 hours since.

What do you think ?

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #2  
I'd drain and replace it. Keep track of what comes out to make sure all of it does.

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #3  
With that puddle of green stuff, and what they say about how well animals like drinking it, you should not have a mouse problem at all /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I personnaly don't believe that is true, but we hear it a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( With that puddle of green stuff, and what they say about how well animals like drinking it, you should not have a mouse problem at all /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I personnaly don't believe that is true, but we hear it a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )</font>

There is no question that once an animal drinks anti freeze that it will kill them. Not only will it kill them, but it is also a very painful and violent death. Anti freeze is sweet to taste, so young children have also been known to drink it. There has been a movement in recent years to require manufacturers to add a bittering agent to the anti freeze to eliminate this problem. Read more about this here.... Also it must be disposed of properly, because it can permanently damage ground water supplies.

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I personnaly don't believe that is true, but we hear it a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )</font>

Ethelyne Glycol (effective ingredient in green antifreeze) is a deadly poison!

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #6  
I will agree that it is a poison, I just don't agree that the animals 'like' to consume it. At least not from my observations.
But that is just my opinion, and I don't mean to slight others opinions here.

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I will agree that it is a poison, I just don't agree that the animals 'like' to consume it. At least not from my observations.
But that is just my opinion, and I don't mean to slight others opinions here. )</font>

A 1989 survey done by the British Columbia Veterinary Medical Association (BCVMA) showed that 1589 cats and dogs died in this province alone as a result of ethylene glycol antifreeze poisoning.

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Well, my NH TC30 was a bit low on coolant. The petcock leaks and I've not found sufficiant motivation to get under there and fix it. )</font>

Now you have a motivation. The coolant should be changed now anyway, so its a good time to fix the leak. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #9  
It is a known fact (at least around these parts) that if you have an animal you want to get rid of just set out a pan of anti-freeze. It's sweet and they'll drink it right up. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

It is a myth that Dex-Cool and regular anti-freeze can't be mixed. You just don't get the benefit of the Dex-Cool long change intervals. I don't mix it as a practice but would not be concerned if I did.

Everybody changes their coolant every 24 months anyway, right? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #10  
Having been a professional auto mechanic for over 34 years, I've had quite a bit of experience with exactly the problem you now have. No, you are not supposed to mix the 2 types of antifreeze - it will definitely cause severe problems with your cooling system but not in such a short time. I have replaced countless engine parts that have been deteriorated from mixing the dexcool with either etheylene glycol or propylene glycol antifreezes. It seems the mixture really attacks aluminum parts - eats them up. Have replaced many intake manifolds, timing covers etc. - expensive parts because an owner or inexperienced service person mixed the two, but this takes a little time to occur. You should thoroughly flush the cooling system and replace with one or the other types of antifreeze. In automotive experience, I have seen no better long-term service from using dexcool over the other types of antifreeze, the systems don't seem to stay any cleaner or protection last any longer. The procedure I would use to flush would be to drain the system, remove the thermostat temporarily- no need to try and seal the gooseneck at this point just reinstall the bolts for now, disconnect the upper radiator hose at the radiator and lay it aside safely away from the fan. Use some plastic cable ties or such if necessary to keep the hose away from moving parts and to direct the water in a desirable direction. Fill the radiator with clean water until it runs out the neck where the hose is diconnected. Leave your garden hose in the filler neck of the radiator running low and start the engine - the water will be running constantly out of the radiator hose with the thermostat removed. Adjust the garden hose flow to keep the radiator full/ overflowing while the engine idles and purges the system. This will be sure to get every last bit of the bad mix out of the block etc. - simple draining will not do this !! Once clear water is coming out of the hose, you can stop and drain the water out, reinstall the thermostat & hose to the radiator - recommend a new thermostat while there and fill with the proper mix of whichever antifreeze you choose to use. Even though your system drain may be the lowest point, there are still many areas in the engine that can hold several ounces of the bad mix and that's all it takes for the chemical reaction to take place that will lead to big headaches later on. Good luck !!