John Deere 4400 steering cylinder failure $$$$$$$$

/ John Deere 4400 steering cylinder failure $$$$$$$$ #1  

Cactus

Gold Member
My steering quit working on the JD 4400,so I called John Deere and it was about $700 to replace. JD does not offer a rebuild kit,so I dissected the cylinder and the o ring in the center of the cylinder is has worn on one side from where I had slightly bent the shaft.The inside of the cylinder was scored as well.I thought I would be able to repair the cylinder myself but up on seeing the wear on the inside of the cylinder I realized a trip to the loacal machinist would be my next option. I go to the machinist and after about 45 minutes of discussion they inform me they can make a whole new steering cylinder,one that can be opened up and serviced for about $400.They say it will be next week before it is ready and I say noooo problem I can wait. I also have had some issues with the tie rods wearing out and if everything looks good after the steering cylinder rebuild I am going to consult with the machinist about making a different and improved tie rod end as well.On my JD 4400 the old style axle(turf destroyer) which I have the tie rod ends coming off of the cylinder is not much bigger than a number 2 pencil and these things wear like crazy and JD wants about $190 apiece for these.
If this project works out good hopefully I can post some pictures.
DANA corp has designed this front end right down to the pinion gears in the front end.

Cactus