Air Compressor Repair

/ Air Compressor Repair #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
I have a single stage Ingersoll air compressor in my home shop. It developed a problem that prevents it from charging to greater then 80 psig. The deadband on the switch is set at 90psi (decreasing) and 120psi (increasing). Therefore the motor tries to run continuously until the thermal overload kicks it off. Obviously the compressor should (and used to) be able to charge to >125 psi.

Anyone run into this yet. Before I pull the head off and inspect the internals, is there a quick way to tell if it's the rings, checkvalves, internal relief etc?

The compressor is only about 4 years old and really doesn't have that many hours on it. I've also changed the oil at least annually if not more frequently. I'd be surprised if it needs rings already. Any help would be appreciated.

/ Air Compressor Repair #2  
I'm not familiar with the internals of an Ingersoll compressor, but for a wild guess, it sounds as if a valve is stuck or broken. Does that compressor have reed valves? I've had the same thing happen with an oilless compressor; i.e., just keep running but couldn't get up its normal pressure when a reed valve was broken. And if that's the problem, it's easily fixed. At least I'd start by removing the head and checking the valves.

/ Air Compressor Repair #3  
A valve or reed is dirty, stuck. If you still have your owners manual it should tell you what parts you need. IR has a web site with a list of owners manuals and parts for ordering.

/ Air Compressor Repair
Thanks guys. That's what I'm thinking, stuck valve. I get some blowback out the air filter, which helps me think it's a stuck or dirty reed valve or the like. I'll tear into it tomorrow and report back with the ailment/fix.

/ Air Compressor Repair #5  
I have a big 2 stage 25 CFM and when I first got it and fired it up it took a long time to build pressure. Nothing obviously wrong and sounded good. I pulled the head and it had broken the reed valve mounting plate and the piece had wedged open one of the reeds. I found a replacement (whole valve plate assembly) at grainger. good luck....

/ Air Compressor Repair
Found the problem. I was using the compressor real hard the other week, when I was staining and laquering my kitchen cabinets. Apparently the head became hot enough to melt the cheap plastic inlet filter/silencer (why would IR use a cheap plastic intake filter on an otherwise quality compressor?). Some of the melted plastic got under the intake reed valve and hardened.

It'll cost me a new set of gaskets, I couldn't salvage the grafoil one when I pulled the head apart. I aslo ordered a good Solberg intake filter/silencer made of metal.

/ Air Compressor Repair #7  
Congratulations. Always nice when it isn't anything too serious. And I've noticed that a lot of compressors and shop vacs come with less than optimal filters.

/ Air Compressor Repair #8  
Larry,
I have tried several times to purchase items from Grainger but they will not sell to me because I am not a business. Any suggestion on how to get around the business requirement. Before I retired I was working in California and used my employer as the business reference.
Farwell

/ Air Compressor Repair #9  
How about farm/business?

In my county, a Farm does not even need an occupational license... items produced and sold on the farm that do not incorporate outside taxed items can be sold tax free. Animal feeds can be purchased tax free, and ag equipment can be purchased at 2.5% sales tax vs 7% sales tax.

Perhaps you coud become a farm?

Soundguy

/ Air Compressor Repair #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have tried several times to purchase items from Grainger but they will not sell to me because I am not a business. Any suggestion on how to get around the business requirement. )</font>

I work for Verizon, when I go into Grainger, or another place like that, I just tell them who I work for and say it will be a "Cash Ticket" It has always worked for me...