Latex with HVLP Sprayer

/ Latex with HVLP Sprayer #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
This is kind of a follow up to another thread that talked about "what kind of sprayer to buy".

I thought I'd follow up with my experience. I've usually brushed (trim work, siding) or rolled (walls, ceiling) latex paint. However, I had 8 raised panel interior doors that required painting and I knew that a brush was going to be time extensive and probably wouldn't give me the results I was after.

I have an Ingersoll HVLP sprayer with a 1.5mm nozzle that I use around the shop for spraying enamels, laquers etc. After talking to the help at the Sherwin Williams store, I decided to give it a try.

The key to spraying latex is to use a product called "Floetrol". It's a latex paint conditioner sold at paint stores, Lowes, Home Depot etc. In a quart container, I'd put in 20 oz. of Sherwin Williams "Duration" paint and 10 oz. of Floetrol. The benefit of the floetrol is not only for thinning but for leveling. It worked real well for the application. I had the gun adjusted to spray fairly heavy and you have to move slowly to allow the sprayed surface to become "wet". It looked a little orange peel at first, but leveled fairly well. I was using a satin finish on a rough surface so I had a lot of forgiveness. You want to paint out of direct sunlight, so the drying process is slowed and the paint has a chance to level. I sprayed the doors with two coats. One coat would have probably been sufficient, but with the satin paints I've found that two coats is needed to get the satin look.

It worked fine for painting doors, trim etc. This setup wouldn't work for painting walls, siding etc. It just doesn't throw out enough paint. It sure saved me a whole lot of time and saved me the price of a new sprayer.

/ Latex with HVLP Sprayer #2  
Interesting info.
Question; were the doors in a vertical or horizontal position while being sprayed?
Just wondering if "Floetrol". would make paint run if vertical.
Thanks for any other tips re: HVLP, I've been thinking about purchase of a system.

/ Latex with HVLP Sprayer #3  
I too have used my hvlp sprayer mated to my air compressor ( it's not one of the kits, it a gravity fed hvlp gun that you have to use an air compressor on), however I used a 1.7 tip (the tip I used to spray gelcoat on my 41 yr old whaler) whaler restoration page - has the gun I used at the bottom . Thought I'd give it a try. I did not use the floetrol though. I used Behr's top of the line High Gloss latex enamel for cabinet doors. With the bigger tip it did put out quite a bit of paint. I had to reduce my fan spray though. I plan to do my walls up at my lake house (they are panel and I did 1 room by brush......no way again).

/ Latex with HVLP Sprayer
I painted both installed doors and doors laid horizontally and didn't have any run problems. Actually the paint was still pretty thick at 20 oz. paint / 10 oz. Floetrol. The Floetrol container actually says to mix 1:1. I didn't try that, as I was getting the results I needed at 2:1. Floetrol is fairly thick itself, so I don't think it would be likely to run.

Like I said. It worked well for the limited amount of painting I had to do. You'd want a true latex paint gun for anything more.