differences in types of fluid for filled tires

/ differences in types of fluid for filled tires #1  

bkruszka

Tractor
Kubota B7510 HST
I asked my dealer what he fills tires with and he said methanol. I thought tires were mainly filled with CaCl and anitfrezze. Now i am scared that i a rolling a 300 pound bomb waiting to explode, since methanol is highly flamable.
What are advantages and disadvantages in the differnent types of fluids. Is one more money then the other, which one will last the longest.

/ differences in types of fluid for filled tires #2  
methanol (methyl alcohol) = Windshield washer fluid

/ differences in types of fluid for filled tires #3  
Ron is absolutely correct on the Wiper Fluid issue.

Further, AntiFreeze is really not recommended due to the fact that it is highly toxic, even diluted and even in very small quantities. A tablespoon of sweet smelling antifreeze can easily kill a dog the size of a German Shepard or a child. I've never found a DEALER that puts antifreeze into tires, usually it is done by people who do-it-themselves and don't realize the potential hazards of doing it.

Calcium solutions were fairly common, although I don't think they are as common as they used to be.

"Beet Juice" and "Rim Guard" seems to be far more common.

/ differences in types of fluid for filled tires #4  
Calcium Chloride (Ca-Cl) is heavier the methanol and has been used in tractor tires for decades. It's also extremely corrosive if the wheels aren't completely covered. It also tastes really awful (don't ask..but believe me).

Methanol (windshield washer fluid) is mostly water...just enough methanol to lower the freezing temperature to many degrees below zero. Not as heavy as Ca-Cl, but quite adequate for residential or small farmette usage. Not too much worry about explosions...the concentration is too small.

Then there's Beet Juice (traded under the name Rim Guard). I don't know much about this, but there's a number of TBN members who swear by it.

Then there is filling the tires with foam (permanent). I don't know much about this either, but I'm sure a more knowledgeable TBNer will describe it's advantages and disadvantages.

/ differences in types of fluid for filled tires #5  
Any idea what it costs to foam fill the tires? I am guessing it would prevent flats forever but does it really add any real weight?
Thanks

/ differences in types of fluid for filled tires #6  
I looked at foam about 5 years ago, if memory serves I was looking at almost $1000 to foam my rear tires, (fairly large tractor). Foam adds a considerable amount of weight, but nowhere near the amount of a liquid fill.

/ differences in types of fluid for filled tires #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Calcium Chloride (Ca-Cl) is heavier the methanol and has been used in tractor tires for decades. It's also extremely corrosive if the wheels aren't completely covered. It also tastes really awful (don't ask..but believe me).

Methanol (windshield washer fluid) is mostly water...just enough methanol to lower the freezing temperature to many degrees below zero. Not as heavy as Ca-Cl, but quite adequate for residential or small farmette usage. )</font>

Two points I'd like to address.

One is that WWS is more than adaquate for weighting FARM tractor tires in about 90% of the cases I've seen. In fact, a great many tractors are OVER-ballasted when filled completely with Cal/Chlor. The (approx) 2 pounds per gallon less with WWS is a moot point (again, in MOST cases)

And yes, Cal/Chlor doesn't taste like fine wine. BTDT /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

When you puncture a fluid-filled tire, sometimes the spray goes EVERYWHERE. (Including in the operators mouth, once again, re-affirming my fathers position that I need to KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT more often)

/ differences in types of fluid for filled tires #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Further, AntiFreeze is really not recommended due to the fact that it is highly toxic, even diluted and even i )</font>

IMHO.. if someone uses AF.. then it needs to be the ECO-friendly RV water tank style AF.. that is, non poisonous. ( I think WW fluid would be cheaper?)

Soundguy

/ differences in types of fluid for filled tires #9  
If you do foam fill tires. They will have to be cut apart off the rim when they do eventually need replacement.

Ben

/ differences in types of fluid for filled tires #10  
<font color="blue"> </font><font color="blue" class="small">( but does it really add any real weight? )</font> </font>

It is heavier than water.