Loader bucket rebuild

/ Loader bucket rebuild #1  

BobReeves

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000
Hi again,

Just bought a Ford 300 with loader and although the tractor itself is in great shape the loader bucket is pretty sad. It has many rust pits on the bottom like it has been left full of water. Also the bucket cutting edge is bowed down.

Have searched the forum and found a suggestion to use a jack and chains to straighten the bucket but am afraid the bottom of the bucket is so thin from rust that it will just bend again. Can this be rebuilt/beefed up and if so what is the best approach. I have a stick welder but am not a weldor by any stretch of the imagination.

/ Loader bucket rebuild #2  
Best option is to cut out the entire bucket floor with the cutting edge and weld in a new floor with a new edge added. Either a DIY project or outsourced from a good welding shop. Generic cutting edge is available from steel retailers in many dimensions. A big, costly job either way. But it is almost always the best long-term solution.

/ Loader bucket rebuild #3  
The bucket on my little Kubota had seroius bends in the bottom and a worn out cutting edge. It went to a shop for a new welded on cutting edge and had a new plate welded to the bottom of the bucket. The new cutting edge was much larger than the old and helped stiffen up the entire bucket.

So; as per previous advice I'd suggest an new cutting edge [ larger will be better ] and the new bottom plate. Try and get harder steel plate for the bottom. I would also suggest reenforcement of the front sides of the bucket. Perhaps some lighter cutting edge. Be a good time to add hooks etc. if you have need for them.

Be sitting down as you check the price of the cutting edge.

This may be a job for an experienced welder as the cutting edge may take a different rod than you are using.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Loader bucket rebuild
Thanks for the info...

Actually the cutting edge is in pretty good shape, no nicks dings etc. Saw this on eBay and they are pretty close to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7550241694

If I had them cut a piece of steel to fit the bottom, thinking I could weld it on with my stick welder and a little advise from this forum /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do you think 1/8 would be thick enough, what about the type of steel?