Tandem axle Trailer,rear axle stuck off the ground

/ Tandem axle Trailer,rear axle stuck off the ground #1  

jjcc246

Gold Member
Tractor
2004 TC30
I have a 16' tandem axle trailer and the rear axle is stuck about 6" off the ground. The front axle, of course, is in contact with the ground but the rear is up. I haven't loaded the tractor on it yet to try and level it out with pressure, but i did drive it around to try and bounce it down with no luck. I've seen this before on other trailers, so it's not totally weird but any ideas on how to correct it without snapping the axle? any ideas are appreciated. thanks in advance.

/ Tandem axle Trailer,rear axle stuck off the ground #2  
Is this a walking beam setup with the rear end stuck? or individual springs ? Something has got to look very out of alignment? Broken springs or broken torsion bands?

/ Tandem axle Trailer,rear axle stuck off the ground #3  
I'm guessing the spring hanger that is attached to the pivot has flipped over causing one to be up and one to be down. Just a guess ? If it is, you'll probably have to unbolt and flip it back. Also if it flipped once it will probably flip again. There must be a reason for it to be doing this. Can you post some pictires of the trailer connected to the truck?

Steve

/ Tandem axle Trailer,rear axle stuck off the ground #4  
I had a friend of mine bring his trailer up to my place a few years ago. When he got to my place his rear wheel was off the ground too. On his, the spring shackle had flipped over, so I got out a pry bar and we flipped it back over. He said it did that about once a year and he couldn't find any reason for it to happen, so he just puts up with it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Tandem axle Trailer,rear axle stuck off the ground #5  
We have a bunch of trailers where I work. A couple have a tendency to do this. It usually seems to happen when the trailer is unloaded and travels over rough terrain or bumps.

Do what Bubba said. That's how we fix them................chim

/ Tandem axle Trailer,rear axle stuck off the ground #6  
The spring shackles on mine will flip over also when the trailer is empty. I lift the tongue in the air with the FEL until the rear of the trailer is resting on the ground and all 4 tires are in the air, then with a little bounce from the FEL, the shackles will flip back over.

/ Tandem axle Trailer,rear axle stuck off the ground #7  
<font color="blue"> </font> Gday, If the spring shackle has inverted, then it normally means that the springs have too much "set" on them, ie, when the trailer is unladen, the shackle is too close to vertical so when you hit a bump and the weight comes off the spring, the shackle can flip over.

You can prevent this by welding a piece of steel on the underside of the chassis rail behind the shackle plate so it cant flip back past the vertical position.

Another method is to use a small steel cable from the chassis and around the axle to prevent the axle dropping far enough to allow the shackle to flip over.
landrover vehicles used to have a leather strap around the axles to prevent this same problem.

Cheers

Roscoe

/ Tandem axle Trailer,rear axle stuck off the ground
i think that's exactly what happened. a friend used the trailer to haul some plastic pipe that isn't very heavy over a site where the terrain is pretty rough. I'll try the pinch bar method and if that doesn't work i'll try the FEL method. Boomerang1, did you lift it by the safety chains with the fel?? thanks

/ Tandem axle Trailer,rear axle stuck off the ground #9  
I lifted the trailer with a chain wrapped through the tongue. I did not trust the safety chains.

/ Tandem axle Trailer,rear axle stuck off the ground
I tried to reverse the shackles with a bar i had and it wasn't long enough. I finally decided after 25 years to go get a decent Johnson Bar, went to home depot (they actually have a nice supply and variety) went to the counter (only one open) and some lady was arguing about with the cashier about a $2.00 roll of wallpaper that I was willing to pay for just to get her out of the line, but she said it was principle because it was on the sale rack and didn't ring up for the sale amount. Anyhow, long story short after 15 mins. and the line was down one the isles and no resolution in site, I put the bar down and left the store without the bar as did most of the people behind me. So tomorrow i'll go to one of the brand new Lowes they built near me and purchase the Johnson Bar (5' was $19) and try to reverse the shackles again. The rear schackles are straight up and down ( the one with the tires off the ground) and the front straight across, so if I just flip the rears (with my new Johnson Bar) I should be good to go. Plan B is to raise the front of the trailer and bounce it a few times. I'll post to let you know how I made out.