rotary cutter blades

/ rotary cutter blades #1  

rvhop

Tractor
1975 Ford 4000, 1953 Ford Jubilee
Hello everyone, I have broken one of the blades on my rotary cutter. The one blade looks good with very little wear. Should I replace both blades or go with the one. Thanks in advance. Rick

/ rotary cutter blades #2  
rvhop,
I would only replace the one blade if I could find a blade of the same type and weight as the blade you are keeping. The balance of the blades is important to keep the cutter from vibrating and/or humming. Vibration can ruin your cutter if bad enough.

/ rotary cutter blades #3  
IMO ALWAYS replace both blades.

/ rotary cutter blades #4  
Can you buy blades one at a time? Seems they would come in pairs. Never had to find out yet.
It would be easy to weigh them and if they are close, save a new one - or just save the used one for a spare. 6 of one, ½ dozen the other. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ rotary cutter blades #5  
I've broke a few over the years. I always replaced ONLY the broken one. I just recently replaced my bush hog with a newer, bigger one, but my old one was 30+ years old, with NO ILL EFFECTS from replacing one blade at a time. Balance isn't as sensitive as one might believe on something so heavy (and crude) as a bush hog.

/ rotary cutter blades #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Can you buy blades one at a time? )</font>

Tsc has them 'pegged' and hanging on the wall...

Soundguy

/ rotary cutter blades #7  

Suggest someone e mail Bushhog with that question. They are very responsive via regular e mail. Address should be on their site.

It concerns me not to have fairly precise balance between 2 very fast whirling very heavy blades. I'm not an engineer but I recall that even a little out-of-balance vibration at high speeds and masses can be real trouble.

Jim

/ rotary cutter blades #8  
I'm sure that Bush Hog, or any other manufacturer would (because of saftey liability, if no other reason) would tell you to rush right on down to their parts counter and buy BOTH blades new.

I'm basing my response on 40+ years of "hands on" use of bush hogs, and several broken (and promptly replaced) blades.

I think you would find that most all brands of rotary cutters aren't that accurately balanced from the jump-start.

Sometimes the most complicated issue is that things aren't always as complicated as they might seem.