diesel engine stalls

/ diesel engine stalls #1  

tiverton

Tractor
JD300, IH385, ford755A, massey harris pony, farmall BN
I have a JD300 (industrial model) tractor with a 3 cylinder diesel (43 horsepower). The last three times I have started this tractor, it is an easy starter, the engine starts right up, runs for about 10 seconds, then dies. I retry and the engine does start but idles rough until the engine warms then the tractor seems to run fine. Any suggestions?

/ diesel engine stalls #2  
Just a WAG. But, have You checked Your fuel and filter for contamination ?

/ diesel engine stalls #3  
What is the RPM you are cold idling at? Will it run if you up it a bit?
Egon

/ diesel engine stalls
NIXON; thank you so much for your suggestion. I, in my limited exposure to diesel farm equipment, have not had a fuel problem. but your suggestion made sense so I did something as simple as drain the fuel sediment bowl and drained (I wish I had measured the exact amount) about 5 ounces of water before fuel began to emerge. I did not test the tractor since it was late and getting dark, I plan to use it tomorrow. Even if this does not correct the situation, though I believe it will, it was sorely needed and a lesson learned by me to drain the sediment bowl more than once a year when I change the fuel filter. Though I am now wondering about whether there is a reason to be corrected that attributed to the excessive amount of water in the fuel? Thank you again for taking the time to read and respond.

/ diesel engine stalls #5  
Hey Ron! I've been thinking about you with all the rain in the northeast. Has it affected you?

You've got too many tractors to play with /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gene

/ diesel engine stalls #6  
Not knowing where You buy Your fuel,or where You store it, I'd suspect that You might have gotten a bit of bad fuel . Or, that You have had Your machine sit with a less than full tank of fuel a number of times and been "bitten " by condensation in the tank.
Can't give You a cure over the second "guess", other than to say top of the tank regularly . But on the first issue ..... Buy from a reputable station(high volume ) ,filter it (MR Funnel) ,and use a decent Diesel additive after filtering . I know it sounds laborious, but it works . Oh, and to head off an additive war , they are all pretty good /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif FPPF, Stanadyne , Lucas ,power Service , Etc . Personally , I use Stanadyne ,or Fppf. But that's what I have a ton of /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif John

/ diesel engine stalls #7  
Good info. the only time I've had a diesel stall is from water / trash in the fuel.

Soundguy

/ diesel engine stalls #8  
Mine had an intermittent dying out situation. Had clean filters, clean fuel & fuel coming out of the supply line. Long story short, the transfer pump (from tank to injector pump) had crapped out and although WOULD deliver fuel, it wasn't under any real pressure.

Taking the fuel line off masked the problem because fuel WOULD squirt out but I later learned I could put a finger over it and stop it (like thumb on a garden hose). Replaced the transfer pump and fuel SHOT out of the line with REAL authority. Problem solved.