Three point hitch lift arms not working

/ Three point hitch lift arms not working #1  

mchild

I recently purchased a mid `80’s Kubota L355 SS. It had a backhoe attached to the three point. With the BH attached the lift arms of the three point could not move.

I have now taken the BH off and while doing so – but while it was still solidly connected, the lift arm control lever was moved to the up position. This caused the BH to torque a little from the lifting force, but it stopped within a second or so. Now that the BH is off, I find that the three point will not lift at all.

What could have happened to the hydraulics when the control lever was moved to the up position momentarily?

Many thanks,

Mark

/ Three point hitch lift arms not working #2  
Relief valve popped open? and stuck?

Soundguy

/ Three point hitch lift arms not working
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Relief valve popped open? and stuck?

Soundguy )</font>

Thanks Soundguy.

A couple of things that I did not mention in my first post. The lift arms can move easy by hand - no resistance. There is a clank sound when lifting by hand inside the box. And the FEL still operates.

I can find the relief valve in the parts catalog, but I'm still looking for it on the tractor. How would I check to see if that is the problem?

I have also found an adjusting knob that is located on the cover over the piston that operates the three point hitch. It has markings of "F", "S", and Lock. Does anyone know what this adjustment does?

Thanks,

Mark

/ Three point hitch lift arms not working #4  
That probably adjusts the drop rate, (fast -slow) of the 3ph and/or locks it in place for servicing. You say the FEL still works, or I would have said you sheared a pin in the hydraulic pump. Probably a sheared pin in the 3ph.

/ Three point hitch lift arms not working #5  
*Most* 3pt hitch setups can be lifted by hand, as they have no down pressure, and are therefore not solidly coupled to the upper lift arm rock shaft. Ford/ferguson started this.. and many 3pt lifts are variations on theis common theme.

That knob is probably a 3pt drop rat adjustment.. sounds like.. (F)ast, (S)low, and stop.. as in to temporarily hold the 3pt up for maintenance or travel..

can't help you find it.. not familiar with your beast. If it were an old ford.. could help...

Soundguy

/ Three point hitch lift arms not working #6  
Don't know how the BH hooks up on the Kabota but when I remove the BH on my NH 1920 I need to hook the hydraulic line back up to make the 3PH functional. Bill C

/ Three point hitch lift arms not working #7  
Does your 1920 not have the flow diverter block on it on the right hand side?

Soundguy

/ Three point hitch lift arms not working
I see this old thread has been brought back to the top of the heap so figured I should post an update to the original issue.

Plain `n simple – operator error.

It was a combination of the adjustment for the drop rate (knob directly under operator seat), setting for the draft control (secondary adjustment lever next to 3ph lever), and the distance we needed to move the 3ph lever to get it to move (has to go to the full up position and the adjustable stop had kept us from getting it moved that far). Once we figured it all out it is working perfectly.

Many thanks,

Mark