help with 3-point hitch problem

/ help with 3-point hitch problem #1  

rsmith02184

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4100
hi

i have a 2000 JD 4100 compact utility tractor. I use a finish mower most of the time but recently i changed it over to a grader blade.

I had to adjust the anti-sway linkage quite a bit to get the 3-point lift arms to fit over the pins on the blade.

During use of the blade, I bent two of the anchor bolts that hold the turnbuckle. These are the anchors that are attached to the bushing on the large pin.

To replace these, it would cost about $150 and I would have to take of the tire, etc. I would rather do something else.

Is there anything out there that can be used in it's place that wouldn't require taking off the tire? Maybe a ratcheting strap or something like that?

thanks

/ help with 3-point hitch problem #2  
I have a 2000 4100 also. A picture of what you are describing would be great! If taking off the tire is your major concern, I would not worry about that much, but I'm not sure I follow your issue. Can you bend/pound the bolts back? Or possibly bend/weld into place. I agree, replacement parts are OUTRAGEOUSLY high. Often times a creative solution is much cheaper and can be better. On that 4100 I found that if I swap tires side to side and turn inside out, I get another couple of inches of clearance (a wider stance). On later year 4100s that became standard.

/ help with 3-point hitch problem
i was afraid that no one was going to be able to understand what i was saying. i am not the most technically informed person in the world.

the anti-sway linkage is connected to a main pin located behind the rear tires. it has an anchor point (on a bushing) and has an eye bolt installed to the anchor point. then, the bolt threads are attached to a turnbuckle so i can make the adjustments for wider or narrower attachments. Then, the turnbuckle connects to another bolt which is connected to the lift arms with a bolt and lock washer.

I bent the eye bolt that attaches to the anchor on the main pin.

If i am going to replace that part, i have to take the tire off, and the replacement part is expensive.

i would prefer to use the two anchor points (one on the main pin near the rear tires and the one on the lift arms) and install some other type of adjusting system instead of the turnbuckle: like a ratcheting strap or something.

any ideas? Thanks

/ help with 3-point hitch problem #4  
which part?

it's not your description, just the challenge of describing a mechanic part in general

Attachments

• 769625-jd4100hitch.jpg
    769625-jd4100hitch.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 595
   / help with 3-point hitch problem #5  
You can click on my attachment and see the parts diagram. I think you are talking about part #26. How badly bent is it? Can you just hammer it back straight, or is it actually still useable as-is? I'm not sure if that's the LH or RH thread of the turnbuckle. If LH, you might want to try to use/re-use it. A fix might be to straighten the bolt, and reweld it if necessary. There's not a lot of "play" on those sway links. Using some other solution might work, but those turnbuckles seem to me to be a pretty good solution. Are you saying the implement you have is too wide? Maybe you have a blade designed for a larger tractor? Probably a 5' blade is about max for this tractor. I have a 4' box blade and that's plenty.

i am sorry i didn't respond quicker. i have been away.

i couldn't find an attachment to your reply. is there one that i didn't see? i would like to see the parts listed and identify exactly what i am talking about.

let me know when you can.

thanks

bob

i found the attachment. sorry!

it is part #26. it is badly bent but i might think about pounding it straight. do you have any recommendations on how to do this so i don't ruin the threads on the bolt?

the blade i have is 5'. i had to adjust the lift arms in order to catch the pins (they are narrow). i originally had the pins facing out, but then they were too wide and rubbed the tires.

i think my tires are all the way out already. i think the previous owner switched them to have the maximum clearance.

thanks

/ help with 3-point hitch problem #8  
I would probably buy a new part but if you can find a nut that will fit the threads you might be able to suspend it over the open jaws of a large vice and beat it straight. The nut will keep the threads from getting buggered up.

Added: Just re-read your first post.. Wow for $150.00 I would be getting out the big hammer.