new/used/rebuilt engine needed for JD 4100

/ new/used/rebuilt engine needed for JD 4100
The engine runs fine.. just uses a qt every 10 hours. Do you still believe I may have injector issues? I was really hoping to only put in new rings, maybe a piston and new gaskets. It starts right up -- even in cooler weather, but does blow a bit of blue smoke. Some folks here were thinking I may not have to rebore either. It has 1100 hours now. They thought I'd find the cylinders still showing the original bore marks. Well, I guess I'm hoping to find a minimal of issues, and my biggest fear is that I really won't know how to discern if there is a problem or not. Thanks for the advice.

/ new/used/rebuilt engine needed for JD 4100 #62  
I have done three Yanmar 3TNE84s, which is about the same. JD
makes a 0.25 and a 0.50 oversize piston kits. It is funny that a
piston kit with rings costs about the same as the rings by themselves.
Go figure. Anyway $100-150/hole. A bore job and O/S
pistons are likely because the rings are harder than the block
material. If only one hole is bad and you have a broken ring, you
may be in luck and get away with only rings and a hone. Anyway,
bore and block clean at machine shop, $100 or so. Head gasket, $30.
For other gaskets, use blue or orange RTV silicone. At least take your
head apart and clean it up. Your valves are prob OK. Believe it or not,
you can compress the valve springs with your fingers....no special valve
spring compressor needed. Cam and FI timing positions are well-marked
on the timing gears under the front cover. If rod and crank bearings
are in spec, you do not have to change them. Less the $500 total for
parts.

/ new/used/rebuilt engine needed for JD 4100 #63  
coloradotrout said:
The engine runs fine.. just uses a qt every 10 hours. Do you still believe I may have injector issues? I was really hoping to only put in new rings, maybe a piston and new gaskets. It starts right up -- even in cooler weather, but does blow a bit of blue smoke. Some folks here were thinking I may not have to rebore either. It has 1100 hours now. They thought I'd find the cylinders still showing the original bore marks. Well, I guess I'm hoping to find a minimal of issues, and my biggest fear is that I really won't know how to discern if there is a problem or not. Thanks for the advice.

Oooops Sorry, I misread part of the thread...... If it stills runs except the blow by, you will prolly be ok.

Wayne

So I have never gotten around to doing anything about this issue -- other than add oil. I've only put 75 hours on the 4100 CUT since buying it in the fall of '05. But we have moved onto 80 acres and it will get more use. The short of the story goes like this..

- 2000 JD 4100 HST CUT, presumably bought and put into use beginning 2002
- I bought from rental place with 1080 hours in Aug '05
- JD log:
date hours service
19-Apr-02 120 loader control lever
25-Jul-02 522 starter
10-Oct-02 571 pressure hydraulic line
8-May-03 522 rochshaft lever bolt
4-Sep-03 610 water pump
26-Sep-03 655 front knuckle seal

- the discrepancy on dates/hours on 8-May-03 is a bit concerning.
- The water pump replacment on 4-Sep-03 may be a hint to what caused the oil burning issue
- I've logged that it burns 1 quart of oil every 5-10 hours
- I switched to JD oil when I got it, previously it was using Chevron
- much of the consensus here has been that it may only need rings

/ new/used/rebuilt engine needed for JD 4100 #65  
I think you already know what you have to do and how to do it. It's time to dig in and get it done. When its over, you'll be glad you did it.

/ new/used/rebuilt engine needed for JD 4100 #66  
Let's get started. You have used the tractor for awhile with the same rate of oil usage. I would think that a ring problem is probably what you have, due to the oil usage not getting worse over time.

We got a 2 acre pond -- fishing should be getting good here in a month. How bout you AR and IL fellas stop over and lend a hand ;-)

/ new/used/rebuilt engine needed for JD 4100 #68  
Just wondering if the burnt motor I have would be of any use? Parts internally should be good, but externally it took a beating from the heat. I haven't looked at it close enough to know if the long block can be salvaged by using your external parts. If something like this "might be" an option, you can fly me out there and we can discuss it while checking out your two acre pond...
David from jax

/ new/used/rebuilt engine needed for JD 4100 #69  
Hi ! Engine burnt oil from bads rings. I never regret to put news rings.
Check pistons and cylinders. Clean pistons grooves for remove all carbon. Very important to hone cylinders with stone and oil I use ATF oil. Check news rings in cylinder Top medium and bottom . If too much gap may be oversize rings availlable as .002 or .005 With oversize rings adjust rings gap for to have the min clearance . more is better than less.
With new rings you can have more power and less oil to add.
Good luck ! Oldmech

/ new/used/rebuilt engine needed for JD 4100 #70  
Just wondering if the burnt motor I have would be of any use? Parts internally should be good, but externally it took a beating from the heat. I haven't looked at it close enough to know if the long block can be salvaged by using your external parts. If something like this "might be" an option, you can fly me out there and we can discuss it while checking out your two acre pond...
David from jax

Burnt from a barn fire...
David from jax