new/used/rebuilt engine needed for JD 4100

/ new/used/rebuilt engine needed for JD 4100 #1  

coloradotrout

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4100 HST CUT w/Yanmar 3TNE74 | JD 300 Lawn
Anyone know where to find a new/used/rebuilt engine for a JD4100? 3cyl, Yanmar 3TNE74. My JD dealer estimated $3600 to rebuild the engine I have, and $5700 to install a new engine. That's total price - parts, labor. I've tried calling Yanmar distributors, but the word back is JD specs the standard Yanmar a bit different, and they cannot get me an exact replacment w/o going to the dealer. But somewhere out there, there should be a used/rebuilt market.

/ new/used/rebuilt engine needed for JD 4100 #2  
I read your first thread on burning a quart of oil every 5-10 hours...

One post mentioned getting a compression test...did you do that? How about a cylinder leak down? Was the oil pressure checked....is it in spec?

I suspect you have at least one bad ring...but those tests need to be performed to determine if it's a ring problem or something else

/ new/used/rebuilt engine needed for JD 4100 #3  
Believe it or not there is a new crate engine 3TNE74 on ebay right now. yanmar on ebay
but act fast is ends in about 1.5hrs. Only going for 1,800 right now.

Iowa2210

/ new/used/rebuilt engine needed for JD 4100
I took it to the dealer with the intention of having them do a compression test. They put it on the dyno and concluded the engine has internal problems and to expend more labor was a waste. The dyno test was $97. A compression test, etc would have ran over $200. The mechanics recommendation was to get a new engine. I got the estimates yesterday and was surprised to see the option of rebuild. According to the mechanic there is enough oil burning and blow-by that he'd at least recommend rebuilding each cylinder. His thought was the labor to rebuild would be a waste, that rather spend the money on a new engine. The estimate hower shows rebuild labor at 1800 and new engine install at 1300. Parts for rebuild is 1800 and new engine is 4400. So now the rebuild option looks more inviting.

Oh brother, that looks inviting. But I got this JD4100 on ebay and I don't want to dig myself deeper in the whole. If there was no reserve, 1800 might be worth the gamble assuming I got documentation on it being NEW and not rebuilt, and got some warrarnty. But it looks like there is a reserve price, so not sure if he's wanting 1800 or 3500. I guess I can drop him an email.

/ new/used/rebuilt engine needed for JD 4100 #6  
I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now. I read your post and thought I should respond to your post. I would fix yourself. Go buy the repair manual and go for it. Start with just a simple in frame and go for there. How many hours do you have on the machine? Pull head and oil pan and you are there. Find some one to come mic the block for you or do your self. You might just need new pistons, rings, rods bearnings, gaskets and a hone. If it needs to be bored find a guy with a portable bar to come to your house. You can also find a machine shop to build you old engine. Just remove your self. It is not that hard on a small tractor. You will save a ton.
John

Think I have 3 folks encouraging me to do it myself; and I'd like to give it a try. I have the JD technical manual. Is there some other reading material for rebuilding an engine? My brother restores cars; he's getting a call this w/e ;-)

/ new/used/rebuilt engine needed for JD 4100 #8  
I was going to suggest you do it yourself. I see others have already got you thinking that way.

One thing I know for sure about rebuilding an engine; it's impossible to accurately estimate what it will cost to rebuild while the engine is still in one piece. A shop that does so is either cheating the customer or themselves. Take it down, clean it up, and get to ispecting to innards. The problem should be fairly obvious if indeed the compression is low.

On the subject of compression. I use a compression gauge, but I don't trust it. What I mean by that is if it reads really low I can depend on that, but if it reads good I'm still skeptical. Too many things such as oil or fuel in the cylinder can give a false, good reading. A leakdown tester is far more dependable. By the way, that labor figure for the shop to test your compression was hard to swallow.

Good luck with it. If you decide to do it yourself, I'll cheer you on.

Tom

I need to find a diesel engine shop.. not the JD dealer. I'm fine w/ using the 1qt/5hr beast right now, but I know someday I may want to sell or it will not function -- or my wife may get sick of me smelling like burnt oil !!

The issue from my other post is I bought this used, 1078 hours, as "well maintained". Prev owner (po) is willing to settle w/ me for a reasonable amount. I bought a 1078 hour tractor, I want to arrive at a fair settlement w/o having to assume my labor time, etc to come to that amount. With those JD estimates of 3600 rebuild vs 5700 new, I'm looking at using the 3600 number as my baseline and asking for about 80% of that. Maybe I put 1500 of parts into it and it's fixed, but that will be 40 hours or more of my time I'm guessing.

/ new/used/rebuilt engine needed for JD 4100 #10  
First time around at most any job will take you longer than it should. Forty hours is problably real close. The guys who gave you the 3700.00 estimate should be able to tell you how many hours labor they allowed for. It would be interesting to find out what caused the engine to fail, if possilbe. 1078 hours sounds mightly low to me for a broken diesel. The John Deere I borrowed last week had over 3000 on it and ran like a champ for three days straight. Strong as death.