Jinma 284, engine will not rev beyond an idle.

/ Jinma 284, engine will not rev beyond an idle. #1  

NvTractor

Last weekend I completed a crate 284 to a rolling tractor and drove it off the trailer and around the yard for about ten minutes. The tractor ran well. Attempted to start the tractor the following and and the engine would not start without starting fluid. When it did start it would not rev beyond an idle. It ran rough and had a knock. Number 2 injector had no affect on the engine when the fuel line was bled. My dealer sent three new injectors hoping to correct the problem. With the new injectors installed the engine smoothed out and lost the knock. The engine still will not rev above an idle. I could not find an air or fuel restriction. The throttle lever on the fuel pump has no affect on the engine speed. It appears to me the fuel pump is faulty. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing the problem or had a simular problem? My dealer is about 300 miles from my location. The dealer is sending me a replacement fuel pump, but I don't want to change it out if there is something else I should be checking.

/ Jinma 284, engine will not rev beyond an idle. #2  
I'm not familiar with Jinmas but aren't most tractors fuel supply gravity fed? Or is the dealer sending new injector pump? It does sound like a fuel delivery problem in any case. Did the engine run to full throtle the first time and seem to have ample power? Maybe it is still just an air lock or the injector pump not creating enough pressure. I don't have any idea if there is a way to check fuel pressure between the pump and injectors. Are there any fuel requirements for Jinma i.e. #1 or #2 diesel?
Sorry to be asking more questions than giving answers but I'm fishing here too.
Good luck with new tractor.

Rick.

/ Jinma 284, engine will not rev beyond an idle. #3  
If you did not flush out the fuel tank prior to putting fuel in,you have a clogged fuel strainer,or a screen where the fuel line connects to the injector pump,or trash behind the valve on the sediment bowl.We have assemblied a hundred or more of these tractors.You have to remove the debris from the fuel tanks first.Also if you did not replace all the chinese fluids with new you are going to have more problems.did you pump the primer ?? do you have a full line of fuel to the injector pump??

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales.

/ Jinma 284, engine will not rev beyond an idle. #4  
I ran into this problem once and it turned out to be a crimped fuel line from tank to pump. It would allow a little fuel but not enough to high rev. I would start there. If that doesn't solve it then I would put pressure to the fuel tank with an air hose and listen for air. This might take two people to do. I hope this helps.

/ Jinma 284, engine will not rev beyond an idle. #5  
another thing to check is for air restriction, i have seen diesel engines that people couldnt get runnin after sitting a long time, check the fuel system over and over, gettin plenty of fuel but there would be an obstruction in the intake, mouse nest, crushed hose etc

/ Jinma 284, engine will not rev beyond an idle. #6  
My neighbor's 1970ish JD820 started to do this: ran fine for a few minutes and then wouldn't run above idle. I replaced the fuel filter and primary fuel pump (like an old style automotive pump). Didn't help.

She got the fuel injector rebuilt, and it's fine now. Some of the guys who used the tractor would remove a screw from the injector pump, clean it up and reinsert it, and it would run 30 minutes or so. I suspect there was some crud built up in the injector pump that had to be removed via a rebuild. Some internal O-rings may have gone.

Ralph

/ Jinma 284, engine will not rev beyond an idle. #7  
like afordable stated:

the most common problem in these like this is due to a clogged fuel strainer, there are about 4 different places to look for these SCREENS/STRAINERS on the jinmas. there is one IN the tank right above the fuel bowl. there are also screens in the BANJO fittings at each end of the lines. there is then the fuel filter. I wouldn't suspect this first but the strainers first. also some fo the fuel bowls have been known to be Drilled off so that the fuel shut off lever is in what we would THINK or consider the CLOSED spot but that is actually in the aOPEN spot so common since says to twist it so it is in-line with the exit, which is about 90% off. mine is this way is how I know lol talk about making it theft proof! lol. I had to remove the filter to actually FIND it. I looked into the filter screen thinking it was clogged as no fuel would free flow out of the line when I removed the line at the fuel bowl. the filter screen was clean? so I poped it out and had the bowl all out then I happened to look inside the shut off valve & saw the mess up! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif so when my lever is in the OFF spot it is actually fully ON and vice versa...

now anyhow if you go to the CHINA forum there are links to JOHN S's web site which has all kinds of great compiled info there... a few I actually helped post. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mark M