Chains On

/ Chains On #1  

mrutkaus

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30HST, Kubota BX-1500,
Whew! 65lbs each! Still can't get those spring tighteners tight enough to do much, but the chains are on pretty good.

Mike

Attachments

• 784758-TractorChain.JPG
    784758-TractorChain.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 671
   / Chains On #2  
Chains look good. Where did you get the chains from? FYI, in the past I've used the black rubber bungee cords to take up the slack in my tractor chains, they work very well.

Looks like you and I are gonna get hit with the same snow storm tonight. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Chains On
Yes it does look like 6" or so of snow tonight and tomorrow for both of us!

Chains were from www.tirechains.com. I have some car chains I think I can put on the front today.

Mike

/ Chains On #4  
Please forgive a somewhat ignorant question from someone in a warmer climate. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif What's the purpose of the chains? Traction on ice? It seems that the lug tires would get pretty good traction in snow, unless maybe if it were hard packed snow.

We don't get much snow down here. Maybe one good snow "storm" per winter with 2" or 3" inches accumulating. We have the occasional 10" snow, but that would be a once in a 20 or 25 year type event. We do get freezing rain more frequently which leads to very slippery conditions.

Just wondering what the purpose of the chains was.

Thanks,

BR

/ Chains On #5  
Five years and counting. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I have not installed my chains on my tractor for snow removal yet. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Its been a waste of money so far. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Hope I never need them. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif But then if I do__________. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Looks like I will get to test the need again tonight. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Nice set of chains. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I use a couple of black rubber bungee straps to keep chains on my snowblower tight. Easier to install than the spring type you have.

/ Chains On #6  
Yes, they are great when snow gets packed hard/frozen and you get freezing rain/sleet on top of it, or iced over paved driveways. No kind of tires (even 4WD) will help when things are frozen/iced over, unless they have chains on. But, chains will leave scars on asphalt driveways (dont know about concrete, but probably so), dont ask how I know /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif . I wont use mine again, unless it's a last resort.

/ Chains On #7  
From the picture, looks like the side chains need to be tighter (shortened) by taking in more links. Extra links are cut off on the inside so nothing flopping around, and because the extra ones may be needed for tightening on the outside, they can be wired back so they don't flop (and bang on the fender).

The springloaded cross tighteners look a bit flimsy, IMO and you may find that in deep snow and icy snow chunks, they will be ripped off. As mentioned, I sometimes add some bungee cords to take up some slop, but mostly tighten the side chains to take up the slack.

Just an observation, and can take it for what it might be worth to you. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif In icy conditions, chains are often a must, and the scratches in the asphalt get covered when the new sealer is applied. Deep scratches from getting 'unstuck' are harder to hide with sealer /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif beenthere /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Chains On #8  
I have looked at the pic of your chains 10 times and still can not put my finger on what is wrong. Maybe nothing but they almost look like they are not wide enough for the tire.

/ Chains On #9  
It looks to me like you just need to put some tension on your spring tightners. Take another link or two on each until they are putting tension all the way around.
Drive around a little and you will be able to take up some slack most likely, although a little loose isnt going to hurt at all.

Chains will give a lot more traction than a rubber tire. The type shown also will give you lateral traction which is pretty handy on side hills. I run a less aggressive set all the time unless I am going down the road a fair peice.

/ Chains On #10  
How would you like to put these on.

Attachments

• 785044-chains 1.JPG
    785044-chains 1.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 357