Starting problem

/ Starting problem #1  

Crutches

Tractor
Kubota L3600
I have a Kubota L3600. The battery is fully charged but the engine will not turn over when the key is turned on. If you turn on the key whlie jumping the black/white wire from the solenoid to the positive side of the battery, the tractor will start and run fine. What do I need to replace?

/ Starting problem #2  
This just a guess but you might check all your connections to see if they are tight and clean. If they all look good I would say your solenoid could be bad.

/ Starting problem #3  
If you can start the engine by jumping the wires, then your solenoid is OK. If it was bad, jumping the wires would not activate it.

Check your fuses to the starter switch. If the electrical connections are all tight (including all ground wires) then get a voltmeter and check across the starter switch to see if it is conducting voltage. If not, it may be faulty.

/ Starting problem #5  
Check the voltage on the solenoid to see if you are getting power to the solenoid when you turn the key.

The large cable connecting the solenoid to the starter should not have any voltage when the key is turned off. The other large cabl should have 12 volts going to it all the time.

The small wire should have no voltage when the key is turned off and 12-14V when the key is turned on.

Report back your findings and we can provide some more ideas.

Good Luck,
Kevin

/ Starting problem
Hey Kevin,
Thanks for the help. Here is what I found after reading your reply. I have power to one of the large cables but not the other. I do not have power to the small black/white wire with the key off or on. What do you think I should do next?

Thanks,
Crutches

/ Starting problem #7  
That small black/white wire will only have voltage when the ignition is in the start position. If it has power when in the start position, and the starter does not turn, you either have a bad soleniod or a bad starter motor. But I believe you said that the starter motor runs when you jump it out. Maybe the clutch switch or a safety as someone else mentioned.

/ Starting problem #8  
Could easily be the ignition switch is faulty also.

/ Starting problem
Bill you may be right. I do not get power to the blk/wht wire with the ignition on or off. I guess I will try to check the ignition switch. I just ordered a shop manual from the Kubota dealership but that has a three week delivery. I need to get that tractor running before then.

Thanks

/ Starting problem #10  
I'm not familiar with the L3600 and the potential safety interlocks. Are you sure you are depressing the clutch and that the PTO is disengaged?

I don't have a switch on my seat to detect operator presence but maybe you do.

You need to get power to the black/white wire in order for the solenoid to work and for the starter to turn. Until you have power to that wire when you turn the key I wouldn't worry about the solenoid or starter.

How old is the tractor? Give the dealer a call and ask the service guys what switches may be in the circuit for the starter.

Thanks,
Kevin