Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

Default Re: Trailering?

The box came with a tray for odds and ends. There is plenty of room to lay some chain in the box without it getting caught in the winch. Usually I just keep gloves, snatch block, and some old towels for wiping my hands in the box. I found it easier to store my chains in a 5 gal. bucket and hang the hooks on the edge of the bucket and put in pickup bed.

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

I'm going to make a spare tire mount for my trailer. Just haven't decided where I want to mount it yet.

Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

For location, I'm thinking front right corner on the side of the trailer. At this location the frame of the trailer deck sees minimal stress and the spare tire won't be in the way since I don't intend to offload in front of the trailer axles. It shouldn't affect the jacknife angle either.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L275DT; Ford 8N

The four-way wrenches are nice, but after breaking one at the weld many years ago I'll stick with my breaker bar. I also carry my impact sockets to go with it; handy if you need to help someone else on the road with a different nut size.

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

My 4 way wrench has no weld, its forged. My son bought a 4 way that is 2 pieces crossed. I welded the cross part solid for him since it didn't look too sturdy to me.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2001 Mahindra 4110

I've got the same as George - a forged 4-way I've had for many years, it's an S&K and it has handled more lugnuts than I could ever count. Have never even bothered to try one of the welded ones - so many friends have broken them pretty quickly, they are really about useless. Can't remember how much I paid for my S&K about 25 years ago but I would imagine if you could find one nowadays it would probably be in the $40 - $50 range but well worth the money - especially when you're stuck out on the open road somewhere. I keep mine in my truck and use it regularly to check my trailer lugs. Luckily it also works on your standard metric stuff too - 11/16" for 17mm and 3/4" for 19mm and 13/16" for 21mm.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2001 Mahindra 4110

George - when you go to make your mount, I found it easy to use an old leaf spring U-bolt. I put it in the vise and heated it with a torch and bent it to just the right shape. In my case, my trailer has a 3" diameter tube across the front of the bed above the deck a few inches and I heated and formed the U-bolt to fit it. The tire stands up almost straight inside the tongue area, butted up against the front of the bed. Only have to remove it when I load my bushog seperately up there for when I need the boxblade on my tractor too for a job - I have to hang the bushog tailwheel up over the tongue area when carrying both implements. I would imagine the U-bolt could be welded to wherever you intend to mount your spare.

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

Skip (I hope thats your name) Thanks for the u-bolt idea. Right now I've got a few more months of winter so the trailer spare will stay in the back of the pickup. Its no fun working outside when its below freezing and since I bought this trailer it won't fit inside my garage. Overall length is 25' and its over 8' wide so it won't fit between the lift posts.
    George

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123