Broken 3PH bracket: weld or replace?

/ Broken 3PH bracket: weld or replace? #1  

Boondox

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4044R cab, Kubota KX-121-3S
On my L3010 there is an L-bracket bolted to the bottom of the rear axle. A dog ear sticks aft from that bracket, and that's where the 3PH stabilizer bolts up. Well, the dog ear snapped off so the right side of the 3PH lift arm is free to move around. Not good!

Is this something that can be repaired with a stick welder, or should I replace that entire bracket?

TIA, Pete

/ Broken 3PH bracket: weld or replace? #2  
It's always nice to have a new part, but if you bevel it real good, a weld should do the trick.

/ Broken 3PH bracket: weld or replace? #3  
Pete,

I just ran outside and looked at my tractor to see what part you are referring to. I wouldn't have any problem having that part welded but I'd probably ask Kubota how much for a new one. If it isn't very expensive I'd just replace it.

Kevin

/ Broken 3PH bracket: weld or replace? #4  
That's what welders are made for. The part is removable and not a safety hazard if it failed again. Remove it, prepare it, and weld it well. Good as new and you can use this episode to justify your welder. Absolutely weld. If you must replace it with new, at least repair the old one since you are liable to bust the new one and the spare would be handy.

/ Broken 3PH bracket: weld or replace?
Success! After finding out the bracket bolts did not go thru to the axle (so the gear oil would stay put) I removed it, took it to work, bevelled the pieces and welded it back together. Big storm on the way tomorrow, so I took off early and reassembled everything in the warmth (19F) of the afternoon sun.

All set now. Thanks for the great advice!

Pete

/ Broken 3PH bracket: weld or replace?
I welded the piece. Looked great. Put everything back together and a few hours later the tip of the rear blade snagged a rock and BOTH brackets broke! The repaired side broke just forward of the weld; the other side broke flush with the mounting edge of the axle.

So I went to the dealer to order replacements. The original part number had been superceded four times due to improvements in the design. The new brackets are MUCH stronger than the original design. Installed one last night before my cold got the best of me and sent me inside. I'll install the other side tonight and reassemble ol' Clementine.

Anyway, back in business! Pete

/ Broken 3PH bracket: weld or replace? #7  
"If you must replace it with new, at least repair the old one since you are liable to bust the new one and the spare would be handy."

Whoa! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif