Tow Chains

/ Tow Chains #11  
A also noticed the HF sale. What about the nylon tow straps. I think they were rated for 8500lbs? Is it safe to use these to pull things around - downed trees etc? Nylon Strap

We've got a Harbour Freight so I'll be making a trip out there this week.

/ Tow Chains #12  
The nylon straps will wear very quickly if you try to use them for dragging things around. You really need chain for this.

Good Luck,
Kevin

/ Tow Chains #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "MBS = Minimum Breaking Force
Do not use MBS as criteria for service or design purposes."

In the linked chain chart..... I am beginning to think that G70 is just gold plated G43. A marketing ploy. )</font>

Highbeam,

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. For example, for 3/8" chain the WLL is 5400# for the G43 and 6600# for the G70. The MBS for the same chaine is 16,200# for the G43 and 26,400 for the G70.

The MBS disclaimer is simply to point out that you can't use this number for a working load since there is no safety factor then built in. Using the WLL ensures that their is still an adequate safey factor.

Good Luck,
Kevin

/ Tow Chains #14  
I'm sorry, I meant to point out that WLL is the only real number to go by. The MBS isn't to that level yet. Shop and buy by the WLL.

Our loggers here in the NW use cable for almost all log dragging. Chain is the next best thing for dragging. There is lots of abrasion in a dragging situation, such abrasion would destroy the strap.

/ Tow Chains #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Our loggers here in the NW use cable for almost all log dragging. Chain is the next best thing for dragging. There is lots of abrasion in a dragging situation, such abrasion would destroy the strap.
)</font>The loggers are usually protected by some sort of cage should the cable break or somehow come loose and fly towards the operator. For an open tractor, I would stick with chains for dragging things around.

/ Tow Chains
"There is lots of abrasion in a dragging situation, such abrasion would destroy the strap."

Yep....straps won't work...they are great for towing though.

Chains don't take too much of a hit, unless you're dragging across stone or something harder then the chain. Also...if you can find some worn out firehose, run the chain through that. The hose is sacrificial...also, should a link let go, the fire hose will reduce the snap back. If you live in an area that depends on volunteer fire fighters, getting old hose isn't difficult. 1½" hose works great.

Personally, since I don't skid trees (mostly fallen branches and such) too often, if the load isn't too great, I pick the end of the tree or branch up in the bucket and use the chain to rig it for skidding. I'm normally going across a finished lawn, so this method minimizes the ruts. This method is not for heavy loads...that's what the draw bar is for. Also, one of our TBNer's can attest that the front assist gears in a 790 cannot take as much load in reverse as they can driving forward (busted the gears in the front differential).

For a residential operator, the 5/16th's chain sold by Harbor Freight will work fine. I'm a residential operator...this is all I'll need.
BTW, I would hesitate using this chain for tow a vehicle out of a ditch...but common sense will tell me when the load is too much.

/ Tow Chains #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "There is lots of abrasion in a dragging situation, such abrasion would destroy the strap."

Yep....straps won't work...they are great for towing though.

Chains don't take too much of a hit, unless you're dragging across stone or something harder then the chain. Also...if you can find some worn out firehose, run the chain through that. The hose is sacrificial...also, should a link let go, the fire hose will reduce the snap back. If you live in an area that depends on volunteer fire fighters, getting old hose isn't difficult. 1½" hose works great.

Thanks, I like this idea. I guess I'm headed over to HF today to see what they have. <font color="black"> </font>

/ Tow Chains #18  
Breaking a chain under load is a safety nightmare, but I wonder, in dragging or when transporting CUTs, just how often that happens. I came to the tractor owning world after many years as a boater. We use 5/16th chain to anchor 10-15 ton boats in storms where the wave action and wind put such severe forces (constant and momentary) on the chain that we need to put "snubber" lines (stretchy nylon) between the chain and boat so the chain doesn't pull the boat apart! Breaking chain is really really hard to do. The concerns about using "lower grade" chain in towing applications with the fear of breaking the chain when you make a sharp turn or hit a bump seem exaggerated when talking about transporting CUTs. Maybe if you ran into a bridge abutement the chain would break but I cannot imagine properly sized chain breaking due to the forces associated with trailering (short of the bridge abutement).

I appreciate the issue of regulations making certain chain types manditory but at a practical level, if the chain has an appropriate load rating, does grade make any difference?

/ Tow Chains #20  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( Breaking a chain under load is a safety nightmare, but I wonder, in dragging or when transporting CUTs, just how often that happens.)</font>

I've wondered that too but on related threads, a lot of posters have reported it. I suspect most chains that break were damaged sometime along the way by improper rigging. Its easy to do.

My other gut opinion is that there is no end to the shortcuts a company can take if forced to compete solely on price. Yeah, it still looks like a chain (or whatever) but does that company use modern quality assurance programs, certified materials, etc. Is their plating specification "plate until shiny" or do they take steps to control hydrogen embrittlement? Proper heat treatment is also a science-not just throw it in and check it with a file. Is there any reason to think the distributor is more careful where they source some items if they have a reputation for selling poor quality on other things? I suspect that old line chain manufacturers do all this or they would have been sued out of existence by now. Thats worth an extra 10 bucks to me.