Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

Default Re: Tow Chains

"I appreciate the issue of regulations making certain chain types manditory but at a practical level, if the chain has an appropriate load rating, does grade make any difference?"

I would say no to both. No the regulations don't require a certain grade and no, it makes no difference so long as the WLL is appropriate for the load. Check out one of the last posts, a long one, on that "proper way to bind a tractor" thread. People use straps, ropes, chains, cable and whatever else meets the strength requirements of the regs. Chain is very tough and you don't see people talking about failed chain while in transport. You do see members sharing stories of failed strap.

On anchoring a boat, there some decent loads to deal with but they are all limited to the inertia of the moving boat within its riggings on water. The boat can always slip in the water. The tractor/trailer combo can hit something solid and needs to absorb some shock loading. Now when trailering a big ol' boat I would think that similar rules apply.

Super Star Member IslandTractor's Avatar
    Tractor
    2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "On anchoring a boat, there some decent loads to deal with but they are all limited to the inertia of the moving boat within its riggings on water. The boat can always slip in the water. The tractor/trailer combo can hit something solid and needs to absorb some shock loading. Now when trailering a big ol' boat I would think that similar rules apply. )</font>

Actually, an securely anchored boat in a storm (i.e. one that is still there after the storm) indures tremendous strains on ground tackle. It does not "slip" at all. I would imagine these forces are far greater than experienced by a tractor on any trailer that stays on the road regardless of bumps, jerks, emergency stops etc. Except for a trailer that crashes, I cannot imagine how a 4000lb tractor moving a few inches at most can strain the chains like a 30,000lb boat moving 6-8 feet on swells every 10-15 seconds for hours on end. You have to experience that sensation to appreciate the vast forces at play. Again, anchor chains, properly sized, almost never break even though sizing for 15 ton boat ground tackle and a 2 ton tractor transport chain are essentially the same.

Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

Ah, the "securely anchored boat" means not allowed any movement. So rigid restraint- this is indeed a different situation than a single anchor line.

Oddly, I spent some time as what the feds called a "naval architect" and got to design/size tow chain for a tug pulling a barge loaded with a scrapped nuclear reactor section from a submarine in the Pacific. The loads were high indeed, and chain was large. However, I did not need to assume a rigid connection to a dock. That would have changed the design in the direction of bigger.

Tractor

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Ah, the "securely anchored boat" means not allowed any movement. )</font>

Yeah, that's the way we like'm. Securely anchored. Kind of an oxymoron if you think about it [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. Loosely anchored boats generally end up on the beach [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Tractor
    Mitsubishi D 1800

Don't you use any scope in your storm chain anchor set ups? I find it hard to imagine you could pick up the whole chain with a dinky little boat like that. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Tractor

Yes, scope is important. But in a storm, even with 5:1 scope (chain length/ water depth), the chain can get bar tight. That's why the nylon snubbers are used to provide some shock absorption for the boat and to avoid ripping the anchor out of the bottom. Note it is not to avoid breaking the chain.

And you are correct, a 5-8 ton boat is pretty dinky compared to some. Translates into about a 30-40 foot sailboat. And if you think owning tractors is expensive..... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Tractor
    1993 NH 2120 (the best), 1974 MF 135 (sold, but solid), 1947 Farmall A (bought, sold, bought back, sold again), 1956 MH50 lbt (sold, in 1980, darn it)

When do you think THESE straps might fail?
    Cheers to all
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar/YM135

Hi,

Is the sale price available on the net (harborfreight.com)? I can't find it.

Thanks,

AMtt

Tractor
    John Deere 4520 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hi,
    Is the sale price available on the net (harborfreight.com)? I can't find it.
    Thanks,
    AMtt )</font>

No...I saw the price in a flyer at work. The online price is 36 bucks and change.

Tractor
    Mitsubishi D 1800

I was a partner in a Yankee 21 once. I couldn't afford a part of somethin' bigger. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast