Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with loaded R-4s

Default Re: Tow Chains

What's wrong with those straps? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It looks like he has the corners strapped. Maybe he should have went with some 3/4" plywood that was treated.
    I really don't understand some people's thought process. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

jmc
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST

The amazing thing about that photo to anyone who has ever pulled a trailer is that no one is tailgating him!

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 2010

I thought I had seen everything. Great photo! Wonder if the person might be a "Redneck"? He for sure is "Gettin er done".
    And I thought that I had done some foolish things in my life.
    Farwell

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L2800 HST

I want to see the gorilla that put it on the car for him.

If he'd just screw the plywood down to the trunk lid, he'd certainly have no need for a pickup truck.

Delivery fee: $35 (saved since he didn't pay it)
    Straps instead of delivery: $60 ("at least I get to keep 'em")
    New paint job for trunk: $440 ("nah, honey, it still looks fine")
    Herniated disk surgery for neighbor who helps get it down: $52,873 ("but I don't have to pay for that")
    Highway photo for us to laugh about: $Priceless

Some people really remind me of me...

- Just Gary

Silver Member

hey guys. i hate to hijack this thread, but since we're on the topic of "chains", i'm thinking of buying a 1/2 ton pickup crane to lift the occasional log into my pickup. was thinking about getting a manual chain hoist to use in conjunction with the crane. never used one of these hoists. can someone tell me the basics. in other words, if you pull on the chain to lift, will letting go of the chain allow the load to fall, or do you pull on another chain to lower the load. any other tips/advice would be appreciated. thanks.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Busted the front diff in my old Jeep trying to pull backwards. My B-in-Law was stuck in front of me. I did not want to back waaay up to where I could turn around, and then back the whole distance to him again. So, I pulled in reverse. I heard this "Pink!" and had no front drive no more...

Took the front axle to a gear shop. They said it happens fairly often. The gears are designed to pull forward. It is in the angle of the cut on the gears.

Always pull going forward, especially with a heavy stress load.

Silver Member

as far as pulling a heavy load backward, would the same apply if you had a load IN your bucket, say 400-500 lbs, but were not trying to pull it, just move it?

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

Yep, yr right about pulling backwards.
    I just make sure any load I pull isn't too much.
    Most of the branches I pull don't go more then a few hundred pounds....if that. They're just awkward to move by hand.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234