Tow Chains

/ Tow Chains #1  

RoyJackson

Rest in Peace
Tractor
John Deere 4052R Cab,, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements
Just for everybody's info, Harbor Freight is having a sale. 20 (or 25) feet of 5/16th's Schedule 70 chain with two very robust hooks for $24.

Other cool stuff too, but chain is what I was looking for.

Sale goes to 26 December.

/ Tow Chains #2  
Roy, i don't mean to hi-jack this thread but what size chain do you use for hauling on your trailer? Some of mine are "gimme" chains and I am thinking I need to replace them. Your 790 is close in weight to my 3520. I'll probably go with 3/8" but that may be overkill for a 2900# tractor w/ attachments. I have much heavier chains for other items.

chuck

/ Tow Chains #3  
The HF 3/8" chain is grade 43 vs. Grade 70 for their 5/16". I bought the 3/8" from HF for a WLL of 6600 vs. 5400 for the 5/16" plus the binders were made for 3/8".

So the HF 3/8" doesn't offer much more rated strength than their 5/16" plus many people feel that G70 chain is required.

My chains have worked flawlessly with my 4000 lb tractor. Maybe I'm lucky.

/ Tow Chains #4  
Seeing all of the discussion on different weights of chain made me wonder what is the actual difference. Here is a Link to National Association of Chain Manufacturers (NACM) - Welded Steel Chain Specifications (1999).

It looks like, for maximum protection, grade 70 is what to use. 3/8 g43 might have a higher WLL over 5/16 g73 (5,400# / 4,700#) but 5/16 - g73 has a higher Minimum Braking Force (MBF) 18,800 compared to 16,200 for 3/8 - g43.

Kurt

/ Tow Chains
"Roy, i don't mean to hi-jack this thread but what size chain do you use for hauling on your trailer? "

I don't trailer my tractor. I just wanted the chain for skidding downed trees and other lifting type chores

/ Tow Chains #6  
Home Depot has a similar package for roughly the same price (and you don't need to ship twenty plus pounds of chain).

/ Tow Chains
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Home Depot has a similar package for roughly the same price (and you don't need to ship twenty plus pounds of chain). )</font>

That's cool...we have three Harbor Freight stores in south central PA. I picked mine up.
I wouldn't have had the chain shipped...that would have negated any savings.

/ Tow Chains #8  
I guess Harbor Freight hasn't made it up to New England. At least I haven't seen a store or heard of one up here so there is always the shipping issue for me to consider.

/ Tow Chains #9  
They do have stores in NY and PA. Not going to help much in RI. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Tow Chains #10  
"MBS = Minimum Breaking Force
Do not use MBS as criteria for service or design purposes."

In the linked chain chart..... I am beginning to think that G70 is just gold plated G43. A marketing ploy.