Water pump change; simple operation?

/ Water pump change; simple operation? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
The pump on my L275 'Bota just froze up. I knew it was going, but expectedit to start leaking before it went.
My service manual doesn't cover the engine; is this as simple as changing a pump on an auto? I'm finally learning to ask questions BEFORE getting into the middle of a mess.

Thanks, and a good Christmas to all.

/ Water pump change; simple operation? #2  
I had never done more than change fluids on my diesel when I did my water pump. It was just like changing a auto WP to me. FYI and Happy Hollidays, MP

/ Water pump change; simple operation? #3  
There shouldn't be much difference between a tractor diesel and a car gas water pump. Simple operation, just unbolt and remove anything in the way and replace in reverse order. It was that last bit that bit me when I did it on my mothers 60 something Merc. Got right down to the last item, put the power steering pump on. No bracket. Guess what has to go on first!

Harry K

Harry K

/ Water pump change; simple operation? #4  
Don't be afraid to tackle the water pump, it's pretty easy. Actually, it's easier than a car, 'cause there's less in the way. I replaced the water pump on our L245DT a couple years ago. It's a good time to do the hoses and belt and new anti freeze.

/ Water pump change; simple operation?
All right, thanks. I thought it looked pretty easy, but I have a knack for getting in over my head.

/ Water pump change; simple operation? #6  
Over your head? Not until you top me. I had a 230 chev engine rebuilt. Then the water pump failed. In replacing it, I twisted off one of the pump bolts in teh block. Then in drilling it out, I broke off the bit in the bolt. I spent hours picking at that piece of drill bit with dental picks before I got it out. I think I lost 10 pounds from sweating it every minute of the job.

Harry K

/ Water pump change; simple operation? #7  
Over your head? How about this for over your head. I was about 16, it was December, and the family '59 Chevy with 283 engine had a leaking fuel pump. Replacing it should be easy. It hangs right off the front right of the engine - two bolts and a hose clamp R and R. No point even putting it in the garage for a quick job like that. Dad said go ahead and do it.

It came off just like you would think. Then I put the new one on. When I hand screwed the bolts into their holes, the pump wouldn't seat all the way, no matter how I wiggled it. I thought maybe it was just spring tension, but it wasn't. Anyone know what's wrong yet? I didn't, because - why??? I was over my head! So what shouldn't you do when a part won't seat properly? Yup, I put a socket on the bolts and started tightening them. The pump drew in closer to the block, but not all the way, even though, like a idiot, I tightened them right down.

As some will already know, there's a push rod between the pump and the cam shaft on this engine. When I took the pump off, the push rod slid down toward the pump opening an inch or two, but it was all oily in there and I didn't notice. When I tightened the pump, I was pushing it right into the side of the rod and bent it. Once we figured this out and tried to correct the situation the rod wouldn't go back into the block. We had to pull the pushrod out and try to straighten it out with a hammer, like you would a bent nail. Hours later, after a lot of tapping, filing, and sanding, the push rod was straight enough to go back in and so did the fuel pump.

Of course, it had started snowing almost the instant I got the old pump off, so I got to get snowed on the whole time.

I was definitely over my head.

Then there was the time... - wait. Enough humiliation for one day.

Tom

/ Water pump change; simple operation? #8  
Oh, this all reminds me. My first car was a Rambler American. The rear axle was a shaft that was held in the differential by a C-clip. The outside by the wheel was just a tapered shaft with a groove for a woodruff key. On that shaft went the wheel flange, or hub, held on by a big nut. Well, the woodruff key broke on the driver's side, and I kept driving it, allowing the wheel hub to just slip at every stop sign, ruining both the flange and the axle.
No problem yet, right?
I got a used axle and hub from a junk yard. I pulled the car in the left stall of the garage, jacked up the rear end and spent hours taking the diff cover off, the C-clip off, wheel, etc. Finally the axle was ready to pull out. Slid it out of the axle tube, only to find that I was too close to the left garage wall and that axle would not come out.
I had to put it all back together again, move the car over 4", and do the whole job over again. I was 17, and that was the day I learned how to swear properly.

/ Water pump change; simple operation?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( there's a push rod between the pump and the cam shaft on this engine )</font>

Yeah, that's the kind of problems I'm trying to avoid. I went in andbought the pump today ($120, plus the governor's share.) but never thought to ask about surprises.

I got my first surprise tonight when I got home though... about 10 inches of white stuff that wasn't there when I left yesterday.

Boy don't I wish my tractor was running now... but what I really wish for is a heated garage.

Oh well, maybe next yeqar.

Thanks all,... and maybe we can have a "My worst F-

ER, my worst foolish mistake thread.