More power?

/ More power? #1  

JSUnlimited

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland
Although the answer is to buy a bigger tractor, in all seriousness was wondering something.

Is there anyway to "tweak" a little more power of of these little diesel engines?

How could a guy get more dependable power from one of these little engines? Injection timing, exhaust, turbo, what?

/ More power? #2  
I'm just wondering why you need more power. I will spin the tires before the engine bogs.

/ More power? #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is there anyway to "tweak" a little more power of of these little diesel engines?)</font>

Perhaps but you will then be in a position to find the next
"weakest link" in the power train. Hopefully it will be in
an inexpensive location.

/ More power? #4  
If your warranty is expired, you can always crank up the fuel injection pump a tad. Just ask your friendly Diesel Mechanic how to make the adjustment, and don't do to much. You just need to weigh out the risks versus rewards by doing this.

/ More power? #5  
There were a couple of threads on the subject. I ended up making a slight injector pump change and got a snappier response and a little more power. Not being a diesel mechanic, I was afraid to do much and only made minor adjustments.

THIS is one of the links, if you're interested.

/ More power? #6  
Yes you can crank up the injectors, and if you go too far it can become an expensive tweak. I would also suspect a somewhat shorter engine life with smaller tweaks...
I just try to keep my engines running per manufacturers specs, things seem happier that way /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Ben

/ More power? #7  
Switching to synthetic oil will give you 3-4% more power (and about that much less fuel consumption). That's why the racer drivers like it.

Ralph

/ More power?
I was just wondering. It seems that I always try to find ways to make something just a little better.

I usually run out of power before traction. I noticed that under loads, I don't get much black smoke as I would have thought. My old Kubota which was 7hp less than this NH would blow the black smoke and it seems as though it had much more power than this NH does.

/ More power? #9  
I just mounted a turbo on my little 13hp Yanmar. I havn't finished the installation yet, but the turbo is mounted. The next step will be to measure the exhaust temps with engine naturally aspirated and compare those temps to the turbo charged engine. I can then add fuel to matain the temps. My biggest problem was trying to find a small enough turbo. I found a tiny one (easily fits in my palm) but initial results are suggesting that it's still too large.

I can tell you that just adding fuel to a naturally aspirated engine will give you higher exhaust temps. The temps need to stay below 1100 degrees sustained or damage will result. To bring the temps down, you need to add air. This is easily done on a turbo charged engine by adjusting the wastegate. There isn't much you can do on a naturally aspirated engine to increase the airflow. The black smoke is unburned wasted fuel. To continuously make black smoke is just wasting money. However, diesels will often smoke black when they run rich in anticipation of boost. If you do fiddle with the pump, keep track of your changes and try to keep the engine from smoking.

/ More power? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( To bring the temps down, you need to add air. This is easily done on a turbo charged engine by adjusting the wastegate. )</font>

Technically, you are not going to get lower exhaust temps by adding air with a turbocharger, unless you run an intercooler also.
A turbocharger is just a small air compressor and as you compress the air it gets hotter. This hot air charge needs to be cooled before entering the engine or else your just forcing more hot air into the engine.

I would not touch any factory settings or use any add-ons like turbos unless they are factory. If you need more HP, then buy a bigger tractor.
If you just want a little boost, run synthetic oils and double the dosage of Power Service (White Bottle) and use it all year long as a de-geller and an octane booster.