Dual clutch problem

/ Dual clutch problem #1  

Hooked_on_HP

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E
I have a ford 1900 fwd with a dual clutch. One clutch is for the transmission (to move the tractor) the other is for the pto. The clutch for the trans works perfect. The clutch for the pto doesn't disengage. The way this should work is press clutch half way to stop tractor movement. Press all the way to stop pto. My sevice manual doesn't show a different adjustment for each clutch. Any ideas.

/ Dual clutch problem #2  
Must be a pretty poor excuse for a service manual. The OEM Ford manual has a suppliment detailing two stage clutch function and repair. The adjusment for the PTO is internal, 3 bolts on the periphery of the pressure plate assembly. You may be able to access them through holes in the clutch housing at 3 and 9 o'clock between the loader bracket mounting holes. There are four typical causes for your symptoms. 1. Too much pedal freeplay. 2. PTO disc stuck to the pressure plate or input shaft splines. 3. Transmission disc worn thin throwing PTO disc adjustment out. 4. PTO disc came apart and 'piled up' between the PTO pressure plates.

/ Dual clutch problem
The service manual I have is published by jensales. Could you be a little more specific on the adjustment procedure. My manual does show an adjustment for pressure plate release lever height when you have it disasembled.

/ Dual clutch problem #4  
If you could give us a little more info to work with we might be able to narrow it down a bit. Did this just happen out of the blue, working one day and not the next? Has the tractor been sitting for a long time? PTO not used for a long time etc.

If it's just stuck from sitting you might be able to free it up by hooking up a brush hog and starting the tractor with the clutch in all the way.

/ Dual clutch problem
This tractor was siting for 2 years when I bought it 3 months ago. I don' know how long since the pto was used. I haven't had anything hooked to the pto to put a heavy load on it. I am just trying to make shure every thing is working right before it is time to use it.

/ Dual clutch problem #6  
The three adjusting bolts are evenly spaced around the outer circumference of the double clutch pressure plate assembly. They are oriented parallel to the crankshaft. With the clutch engaged, the clearance between the bolt heads and ears on the pressure plate are set using a feeler gauge. I am not confident enough in remembering the gap spec to tell you what I think it is. Sounds as if your info may only address single clutches.

/ Dual clutch problem #7  
Mornin Rick,
Excellent explanation, on my MF 1040 I have an access cover at 9 oclock and I believe my setting was .040 but would not venture a guess on a Ford 2000. Good explanation /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

scotty

/ Dual clutch problem #8  
What does the pto output spline shaft look like? rusty, or heavy greese, or bright metal. If the tractor was sitting for 2 years, and you don't know how long, or if a pto implement was even used for a number of years, It sounds like the clutch plate could be rusted to the pressure plate or flywheel. Gary

/ Dual clutch problem #9  
I've got a JD970 with a dual clutch. Tractor sits for a spell -- they can stick. Drive clutch sticks --- put tractor in high range, high gear with foot on brake, throttle up a bit, start engine. Engine starts, stalls, jerks. A couple of times -- hopefully that frees it up. How about a variation on this theme --- hook up a heavy duty tiller. Gonna be a challange to find a patch of ground that is forgiving enough to slowly lower the tines into... But, I'd think that if you had your foot on the brakes and engaged the tiller into the ground -- slowly -- at say; 1300-1500 rpm and bogged the engine to a stall a couple of times and then maybe plunked her down good to kill the engine --- maybe she'd let go? My 3 cents. AKfish /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Dual clutch problem #10  
Just reread my last post.... Left out the most important element. FOOT ON CLUTCH AND CLUTCH DEPRESSED WHILE STARTING. ETC. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Thanks. AKfish