Air Hammer New User

/ Air Hammer New User #1  

Ortis

Bronze Member
Happy New Year to you all!

I was replacing the water pump on my Ford NAA, and found that the last guy who did it replaced one of the bolts with a square-head. There was no room to put a wrench on it, and even the 8 point socket I borrowed did not work since there was not enough clearance around the head. (I wonder how they got it in?) In desperation, I bought an air hammer, thinking I would try to cut the head off. Instead, I used the punch-like attachment, and was able to use it on the corners of the bolt to back it out. What a relief!

I offer this experience to the other neophytes out there who may run into similar situations. The air hammer is one of the best $15 investments I have made.

-Ortis

/ Air Hammer New User #2  
That's good news.

With a little practice you'll be able to apply just enough pressure to do an amazing list of feats with your new toy. My favorite is cutting the top off of an oil drum. When you get the angle and pressure right, it will cut several inches per second. Add a few easy vents at the bottom and you have a new burn barrel in an instant!

Happy new year to you (and everyone else), too.

- Just Gary

/ Air Hammer New User #3  
Yes, they are a handy tool to have. And the noise only bothers the people who aren't using it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Air Hammer New User #4  
I have a real nice used IR demolition hammer I'll part with. Only problem is that it takes a 20 horse compressor to run it though I believe it would take off your water pump and the front of your block at the same time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Air Hammer New User #5  
Yep, Ortis, when my brother was a Matco Tool distributor, he sold a few air hammers by showing mechanics that same trick. It'll even work on 6 point nuts and bolts. I know of at least one case where it was used to remove the nut on the pulley on the front end of a crankshaft.

/ Air Hammer New User #6  
I'll have to agree, air hammers can be a life saver. I have a hammer face for mine that can't be beat for punching out broken or stripped wheel studs.

/ Air Hammer New User #7  
When combined with an oxy acet. torch, the air hammer can be even more handy. I often use the torch to heat badly rusted, rounded nuts red hot, then use a tapered punch to walk them around. Rusted, rounded flange bolts can also be loosened too, by heating the flange first then air hammering the corners of the bolt. I have added a set of twist sockets to my arsenal now, so that after I loosen a "trouble" nut or bolt, I change to a twist socket and air ratchet to spin it off. A shot right in the center of a stuck bolt with a punch sharpened to a point will sometimes help break it loose. I ended up with a CP "Zip Gun" because I liked the trigger control it has. I had several others that were too hard to feather the throttle on slowly, and were too hard to control. I have found the torch and the air hammer to be valuable and efficient tools for problem jobs.

/ Air Hammer New User
Thanks Automech- Now maybe I can convince my wife I need an oxyacetylene setup. I'll use your post to explain /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif