Ford 1720 Foot Throttle problem

/ Ford 1720 Foot Throttle problem #1  

Fivebraids

Tractor
Ford 1720
Brand new tractor owner here. Bought a house in rural southern Georgia and it came with a Ford 1720, two wheel drive, with a few attachments. The closest I've ever come to having a tractor before this is the Sears 19.5 hp garden tractor I still have.

I've been lurking for some time now, and I'm learning a lot from this forum, and getting as much time in the seat as I can. I have a small problem/request for any other owners of this machine.

The foot throttle isn't working at all. The pedal is on the floor as though it wasn't connected to anything. Looking under the tractor, I see that the cable is intact, and in fact is fine all the way under the hood.

I went to the local dealer and looked at the parts catalog (online) for the throttle assembly. There was a spring in the picture that was clearly missing from mine, so I ordered and attempted to install the spring.

Well, there's obviously more to my problem than the missing spring. When I installed the spring between the points that were obviously made to accomodate the spring, it did indeed lift the pedal a little off the floorboard. But, there's still a problem.

It appears that the rubber boot at the pedal end of the cable needs to be supported somehow, so that when the pedal is depressed, the cable will slide in its jacket. This isn't happening on mine. Pressing the pedal simply moves the cable, boot, housing and all, not effecting engine rpms. But, if I hold the end of the boot and give the cable a tug, it raises the engine rpms as it should.

To help explain this, i've taken a quick picture with my phone. (I can provide better pictures if required.)

ee8060e9.jpg

The spring I attempted to install goes from (1) to (2). Aside from not providing enough tension to sufficiently lift the pedal, I think that parts correct.

What I think is that the bracket (3), which is welded directly to the frame/undercarriage, is bent, and possibly missing an 'ear'.

The dealer wasn't helpful, since all they have is online access to parts. Since this appears to be part of the actual frame, they can't provide me with pictures.

With all that said, (and I apologize for saying so much), is there anyone out there that either has a 1720 that can show me a picture of a working foot throttle assembly, or can simply tell me what is in fact wrong?

Thanks for reading this far...

And thanks in advance to anyone that can help me...

- Marty -

/ Ford 1720 Foot Throttle problem #2  
It looks like the bracket that holds the outer cable is missing. The piece of outer cable on the engine side of the rubber boot must be attached to the tractor so that the inner cable moves while the outer doesn't . I'll try to get a pic of my 2120 foot throttle that I recall looks pretty similar.
Jim

/ Ford 1720 Foot Throttle problem #3  
I have a 1720 also I agree it looks like the cable should be attached also. I will lok at mine and hopefully get a pic of it.Your not getting a full "pull" with it. I think.Im sure youll get some more replies too.
Al

/ Ford 1720 Foot Throttle problem
Jim/Al,

Thanks! I had a feeling 'something' was missing, but the dealer's pics didn't show anything other than the spring.

A picture would sure help me figure this out.

Thanks...
- Marty -

/ Ford 1720 Foot Throttle problem #5  
I had a 1920 which may be similiar to yours and brush used to get up there and mess up that cable for me. I vaguely recall that one end of that booted section fits in a slot and the slot was "pinched" slightly to retain the cable housing in the slot. You might try fitting the booted section (I don't recall which end) into the slot you marked as "3". If it fits, squeeze the slot slightly with pliers to retain the housing.

John

/ Ford 1720 Foot Throttle problem #6  
Fivebraids - here's a pic of the foot throttle cable on my 2120. I think it's set up different from yours, but you definitely need some bracket to hold the outer cable in one place. Mine looks pretty simple, so you can probably make one. It probably only needs to resist a few pounds of force (unless you get some brush jammed up in there!). Maybe someone with the same rig can get you a pic of the original. Good luck, Jim

Attachments

• 801099-IMG_1300.JPG
    801099-IMG_1300.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,092
Jim,

Thanks for the pic. It does appear different, but pretty similar.

One question though...where's the spring that keeps tension on the pedal? I see the same hole in the pedal bracket that I have, but the parts manual for mine shows the spring attaching there.

Hopefully someone with a 1720 will be able to solve this mystery for me.

In the interim, I'll keep using the hand throttle. (Having that foot throttle would make me a little less nervous right now, since I'm skidding about 75 large oaks and when that front end comes up off the ground, letting go of the throttle pedal and hitting the clutch would keep my heart from racing quite so fast! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

Thanks again Jim...
- Marty -

P.S. Luv the sig...I have a REAL thing for both Mae and W.C. I have quite a bit of memorablia and several biographies and pictorals of them both.

/ Ford 1720 Foot Throttle problem #8  
My 1720 is identical to the 2120 but I have a spring that runs from the outer hole to the bracket.It doesnt have much pressure, just enough to offset and give a return. It looks to me that the number 1 is where the cable should be mounted.Evne if you have to used some bail wire to hold it.I have had brush rip my spring off, and have repalced it before. This is where I also ran an aux. cable to the tractor rear, to run the idle for the splitter and cordsaw.Dont know why they made it that way, but if the brush hits it right, you go fukll throttle, and that a bad thing.
let us know what you do.
Al
ok.jpg

Hot diggity! Thanks Al!!!

Now I can stop watching the fields around here as I drive, hoping to find another 1720!!!!

I'm off to get dirty and see if I can get this hooked up. It appears that I'm not missing anything, just that things aren't where they should be.

I'll certainly update you...and thanks again!!!

- Marty -

P.S. Anytime I find myself going "fukll" throttle, I'll be worried! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Ford 1720 Foot Throttle problem #10  
Well they have made inprovements in the last few years. I originally has a 1700 ford traqctor 1980 model. It was shut down by moving the air throttle to the stop, however, if the linkage got pulled by a limb, it would go full throllte with now way to shut it down. very scarey when you have to jump off and start reaching in the engine compartment.
Since , my 1720 has an electrical solinoid that shuts it down in the event that an obstacle pulls it.
Let me know if you get it fixed. Maybe even post a few pics of the tractor.
AL