PTO clutch won't disengage

/ PTO clutch won't disengage #11  
Re: PTO clutch won\'t disengage

I wish I could have adjusted the clutch on my JD 1050 through the inspection plate. My PTO clutch was not releasing, and I fixed it this morning. Here's a pic of the "pre" split set up.

Attachments

• 846131-DSCN1005 (Small).JPG
    846131-DSCN1005 (Small).JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,060
   / PTO clutch won't disengage #12  

Pulled apart!

Attachments

• 846133-DSCN1008 (Small).JPG
    846133-DSCN1008 (Small).JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 930
   / PTO clutch won't disengage #13  

A better shot of the clutch. Mine has three adjustment bolts too.

Attachments

• 846134-DSCN1011 (Small).JPG
    846134-DSCN1011 (Small).JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 973
   / PTO clutch won't disengage #14  

This is one of the three bolts that is supposed to have .060" gap. Mine was more like a 1/4 "! After adjusting and putting the tractor back together it worked great! I was a little nervous. It was my first attempt at a heavy repair on the tractor. I pulled it apart and put it back together in 3 1/2 hours today. It was not nearly as bad as I thought it might be. I hooked up the mower, took it for a "spin" and it worked perfectly /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif A really good start to the weekend!

Attachments

• 846139-DSCN1016 (Small).JPG
    846139-DSCN1016 (Small).JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 892
   / PTO clutch won't disengage #15  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I pulled it apart and put it back together in 3 1/2 hours today. )</font>

I have spent more than 3 1/2 hours changing oil!

ps... as a friendly bit of advice, you need more junk on the floor of your shop. And some spray paint splotches on the walls will really spruce things up a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ PTO clutch won't disengage #16  

Thanks for the advice TK. I do have some overspray of JD green and yellow on my shop floor, does that count? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I was going to start this project last Thursday afternoon, but it seemed like everything I touched messed up. My cell phone couldn't find a signal, the battery in it went dead, my camera battery was dead, I couldn't get the first bolt off to remove the hood, a plug was missing in my engine hoist and fluid was running out, etc,etc. I had a friend that always said, when you have one of those days, quit, go in the house, lay on the sofa, and ask someone else to turn on the tv for you. He said don't do anything that runs the risk of messing it up. Wait for a better day. I woke up Saturday morning, and everything I did went perfectly. I decided that was the day to start on the tractor. I did all the projects I could on Saturday and they all went well. When you have a day like that it pays to take advantage of it! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Must have something to do with the full moon maybe? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ PTO clutch won't disengage #17  

gstott,
Nice bit of work! And thanks for the pics! I cant believe that JD didnt put a little inspection plate in to adjust those bolts. I adjusted mine on my Massey last year, it was a small cover on the left side of the clutch housing but I could still get a wrench and feeler gages in there to work. Glad to hear you got it straightened out /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

scotty

/ PTO clutch won't disengage #18  

Scott, there was an inspection plate, but...... It was just large enough to put one wrench on the head of the adjusting bolt. I couldn't even see the lock nut on the other end of it, much less get two wrenches in there. My better judgement prevailed, and I did not get out my hole saw while looking for a large rubber plug /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm sure sooner or later, someone will say "hey, why did you pull it apart? All you had to do was ...(yada, yada, yada). But, the job wasn't bad at all. And, I got a good look at both clutch plates and disc. They looked they were in great shape.

/ PTO clutch won't disengage #19  

Nice job and a good lookin' setup you've got! After the head gasket project and now the clutch work I'll bet you're gettin' to know your tractor pretty well -- pretty quick you'll be able to save electricity and work on your 1050 in the dark!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
When you were considering this latest project; did you research the cost of a new (or rebuilt) pressure plate and new clutch disc? Thanks. AKfish

/ PTO clutch won't disengage #20  

A clutch was listed on JDparts at about $1575.00. YIKES! I thought if I had a parts problem it might be a clutch spring or just the PTO pressure plate which were available separately. When I called my number one JD parts guy, he said that he seldom sold a JD clutch anymore. He had access to an after market reman for about $500.00. He said he had good luck with them. That was very good news! Even better news was that I didn't need a clutch. My wife said I never owned anything that I didn't have to find out what made it tick from the inside out. I guess the tractor is no different. Actually, I'm just to cheap to pay someone to do anything that I have the most remote possibility of doing for myself /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif And, BTW, shop manuals are well worth the money. I'd much rather spend my money on tools and a manual, than pay someone else to do it. Thanks for the kind words!