PTO clutch won't disengage

/ PTO clutch won't disengage #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
PTO clutch won\'t disengage

4 years ago I bought a 1984 L275 Kubota with 1500+- hours on the clock. Great tractor, but the PTO always ground when I engaged it, so I got into the habit of shutting the engine off before engaging.

Now despite repeated adjustments the PTO won't disengage; I throw in the clutch, yet it keeps on spinning. The tractor has several other issues (had I discovered this site and/or read Muhammed's book I probably wouldn't have bought it... or would have paid a lot less money for it.) Right now I'm just accessing, trying to decide how much money I want to dump into this baby. Given the symptoms can anyone guess if I may need a new clutch pack, or suggest something simple I've missed to fix the problem?

/ PTO clutch won't disengage #2  
Re: PTO clutch won\'t disengage

Are you talking about a 2 stage clutch ? If so it could just be an adjustment. You will need a good tractor mechanic or service manual to properly adjust the clutch though. the adjustment could either be in the pedal height/freeplay or in the clutch itself.

I had the same problem on MY IH 2444 and was able to adjust the second stage of the clutch by removing the inspection plate.

Ben

/ PTO clutch won't disengage

Yes, it's a 2-stage clutch. I adjusted it to specs... then I tightened it further in an attempt to get it to work properly.
Nothing helped. I don't think it'slipping... my logging winch will still lift the front wheels off the ground.

I hope to have a pro look at it this spring; right now I need to use it. Yet it's not worth doing $1500 damage, to make $800.

/ PTO clutch won't disengage #4  

I have a L295 and I'm not sure but I think they have the same transmission set up. If so I have the same exact problem. I suspect I know what the problem is. I lost reverse on my 295 so I removed the gear shift cover which also has the pto shifter in it as well and found a broken reverse fork. When I replaced the fork and put the cover back on I couldnt shift at all. I suspected I had put it on wrong but when I took the cover off again I noticed I couldn't move the gear selector even with the cover and gear selector off. What I found was the rails that the forks slide on have detent rings ground into them and a ball bearing falls in the detent ring to keep the gear selector in place and the tractor in gear. Well the detent rings over time get a "shoulder" on them and therefore the ball bearings would/could not fall out of the detent. To fix it I removed the rails and filed the "shoulders" off the ring and after that the shifting works fine. The problem is the pto fork fits on a knob that itself slides on a rail deep down in the transmission and I suspect that a combination of a "shoulder" and some trash in the detent ring/groove may have the ball bearing stuck in the detent and hence the pto knob can't slide back and forth to engage/disengage the pto. Then again it may be that I have the pto fork misalligned when I put the cover back on even though I tried several times and each time it seems the fork fits onto the knob well( its a pretty deep spot in the transmission so its somewhat hard to see) Hope this made sense but I have no suggestion as to how to fix it short of breaking the tractor in half.

/ PTO clutch won't disengage #5  

I have an '84 JD 950 and had the same problem. I did the same as you for a number of years, just engaging the PTO before I started it. (safety switch bypassed /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) That was OK for the rotary cutter, but a real pain with the PHD. I finally had it fixed a couple months ago. PTO clutch was stuck. They split the tractor and cleaned the clutch and pressure plate. The clutch was still good, so no significant parts costs. They also replaced a rear wheel seal at the same time. Total costs for everything was $840. I think the PTO clutch repair was about $500 of that. Had the clutch needed replacing, it would have been considerably more.

/ PTO clutch won't disengage

I guess I'll have to add this to my growing repair list. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I'm starting to think I'd have been better off buying new and making loan payments.
At least it may not need a new clutchpack.

Thanks for your help.

/ PTO clutch won't disengage #7  

Have you tried to get the clutch to break loose by putting a load on the pto and holding the clutch down at the same time? (carefull here, if it is stuck bad enough it just won't give and could break off pieces of the clutch lining causing a clutch job whether you are ready for one or not!)

/ PTO clutch won't disengage #8  

I agree, tk, I'm not familiar with that 2-stage clutch, but that sounds like the same problem when the drive clutch rusts together on a gear drive tractor. If you operate with the clutch disengaged, (pushed in), and slam on the brakes a few times, it will usually break free.

/ PTO clutch won't disengage #9  

Jstpssng,
There are usually adjustments on the clutch for the second stage release. On my IH they are 3 bolts with jam nuts equally spaced around the clutch that engage towards the bottom of the clutch travel. When I fixed mine they were supposed to have an .080 gap but were more like .250 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif so they were never engaging/releasing the second stage. To figure this out I had removed the clutch inspection cover and watched the clutch operate while a friend operated the clutch so I could figure out how the darned thing worked. Engine off, wheels chocked of course. I adjusted them and all was fine. I think on mine the clutch had been replaced, but the second stage adjustment had never been done.
I am not familiar with your clutch setup sorry to say though.
Can you feel the second stage when depressing the clutch ?

/ PTO clutch won't disengage #10  

I have the same tractor and know that this clutch is very touchy in the adjustments. Also I have found that if you have a loader water can get into the bell housing very easily and rust the plates. To get out of it cheep you don't have to buy the entire clutch pack you can buy just the plates you need and rebuild it fairly easily, just lots of time. Forgive the stupid question; has your pedal half way stop bolt come down with out you knowing it?