Grease Zerk Removal

/ Grease Zerk Removal #1  

DUMBDOG

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH 1630 W-7308 FEL/ Kubota L4630GSTC W-LA853 FEL WQ/A-CC 2544
Last year a three point arm came off and broke off a grease zerk with no way to grab the threads.

How does one remove the threads to install a new zerk?

/ Grease Zerk Removal #2  
There is a tool called and easy out that you insert in the hole and twist counter-clockwise. The edges are sharp and 'bite" into broken piece. The local auto supply should be able to help you. You may try to use a small phillips screw driver. If you can jam it in the hole you may be able to un-screw the fitting. Good luck.

/ Grease Zerk Removal #3  
DD -

An EZ-out is probably your best (only?) bet. I think you'll have a pretty good chance of success since it's unlikely that the threads are rusty. Just in case, might as well spray some penetrating oil on it ASAP to get things loosening up - I really like Aerokroil and PB Blaster, in that order.

You might have to drill the zerk out a little to use a beefy enough EZ-out - the last thing you want to do is break one off inside the zerk. Then you really would be in a jam. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Good luck, John

/ Grease Zerk Removal #4  
I've had good luck putting small ez outs in a cordless drill. Put a lot of pressure on the drill and something like a zerk should spin right out. Shouldn't even need to drill it first.

ron

/ Grease Zerk Removal #5  
You can also use an old square nail. Insert it into the broken zerk and LIGHTLY tap it in a little with a small hammer. Then take a small adjustable wrench and turn it until the broken zerk screws out. I have done this when my easy out was not available. Hope this help's.

Curt

/ Grease Zerk Removal #6  
There are two main types of ez-outs. One type is shaped like a big flute drill bit. The other is square. The square seems to work better on really stuck things and can be tapped (hammered) in solidly. The other type can be had in smaller sizes. I have broken more of the big flute type... especially the small ones.

If you have to drill it out, buy a left hand thread bit. The heat and vibration often loosens up the stuck part getting it to unscrew.

jb

/ Grease Zerk Removal #7  
Yep.. easy out, zerk removal tool, left hand drill bit.. Heck.. I'd driven a flat blad screw driver into the reminants of one then turned that out with vice-grips..

Soundguy

/ Grease Zerk Removal #8  
DD,
All are good answers, just one more idea for you. Get a small lefthand drill, something in size larger than the thru hole but not larger than the threads on the OD of the zerk. This can also work. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

scotty

/ Grease Zerk Removal
Thanks for all the suggestions. Figured the easy out was the way to go, but would ask anyway, will try a couple of the others first.

Thanks again.

/ Grease Zerk Removal #10  
In a pinch, I've used the end of a flat file, tapped into the fitting, and a crescent wrench to turn it out, same principal as the square nail. I find it works particularly well on a brass fitting in an aluminum part. When you use an easy out in those circumstances, the easy out tends to expand the thing you're tyring to remove, making it stuck worse!