Tractor
    1952 Ford 8N

Default Engine Oil Seals - 8N

What engine oil seals can be replaced on my 1952 8N by simply removing the oil pan? I was under the impression the rear lower and possibly upper could be changed by simply removing the oil pan, but the front seals require removing more parts. Is this correct?

Default Re: Engine Oil Seals - 8N

The lowers can be reached as you describe. But.... I believe the front axle will need to come out and the oil pan is bolted to the bellhousing / transmission front. By the time you have the pan removed you'd be about as far ahead time-wise to break the tractor in two. The cam drive is gear set-up so if you removed the rod caps and the mains (engine upside down of course) you can lift out the crank and replace uppers and lowers, front and rear. Of course, once you are done the seals will still leak, just not as bad!

Scott

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Re: Engine Oil Seals - 8N

Yep.. nothing 'simple' about dropping an N oil pan due to the bolts warded by the front axle... You can get a nephrene seal.. but most folks I know still go with rope seals... do remember to soak them in oil, and only leave a bit proud on the 'halves sections where they mate.

And yes.. i do believe thaey will still drip a tad.. even when new.. just the nature of the beast..

Soundguy