Dropping 8N Oil Pan

/ Dropping 8N Oil Pan #1  

8N_John

Silver Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N
I have a 1952 8N and need to drop the oil pan to replace the rear lower oil seal. What is the best/easiest way to drop the oil pan? Do I need to support the rest of the tractor when removing the pan?

/ Dropping 8N Oil Pan #2  
Since the front axle has to come off, then yes.. you need to support the bellhousing area with preferable a timber cradle, or jackstands.. chock wheels, etc. Watch for the bolts warded by the front axle.

Soundguy

/ Dropping 8N Oil Pan #3  
Different tractor....same proceedure.

I just finished last week, installing new oil pan gaskets on my 150 Massey Ferguson. (Perkins 3 cyl. had a tendency to blow out the rear pan gasket and dump oil in the bellhousing. (New O.E.M. gasket is kevlar re-enforced rubber instead of cork now)

The entire operation took about 3-1/2 hours.

Wedge the front axle against the axle bolster (with wooded wedges) That keeps the front end "rigid" while unbolted from the engine. Block under the tranny. You want to take weight off the front end, WITHOUT lifting the wheels off the ground, while blocking under the middle.

Never had ahold of an 8N oil pan. The one on my Massey was about 50 to 70 lbs. Have a floor jack handy to lower the pan once it's unbolted.

It sounds like a major task, but all in all, not that serious. There-in lies the beauty of old iron. Anyone with basic hand tools, and some mechanical aptitude can repair about anything on one.