Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kioti LK3054

Default Need advice please.

This is a little off topic, but I need some advise on a paint/coating for a project of mine. Iím build new kennels and the materials are galvanized pipe and untreated ďhog wireĒ type fencing. It is all welded together and I would like to paint/coat everything. Ideally one coat is preferred, I would be happy with just a primer coat if I could find something that sticks well and does not cost $200 a gallon.

Thanks,
    Phil

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Default Re: Need advice please.

I've had good results with Rustolium. You can get in gallon cans and paint it on with a brush. The primer would probably work by itself, but I put a finish coat over it. I paint it on so it's nice and thick.

Eddie

Elite Member

Rustoleum "hammered" paint, from HD, is ideal for 1 coat over rust; however I don't know if it comes in anything other than spray cans.

Elite Member
    Rest in Peace

Tractor
    Kubota B2710, IH TD6-62 dozer with Drott 4n1 bucket loader

I use and recommend Rust-Oleum Protective Enamel for all my projects. When it is brushed on and allowed to dry hard, it holds up very nicely and will take some abuse.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    65-56 HesstonMFD,FEL,Ford 420 backhoe,99 Cat D4C LGP with 125

The galvanized is a problem. I would use something else if you are going to paint them all. You could try to find galvanized wire panels. Then hit your welds with cold galvanized spray. If you just have to paint etch your metal with acid. If it were me I would use a muratic (spelling?) acid solution. Hose off well when done the used the Rust-Oleum primer and paint.
    John

Tractor
    MF 1433/IH 300 Utility

Wash the galvanized metal with white vinegar before painting and it will stick properly. I agree with everyone about rustoleum. If you prime it first (especially with the heavy rust primer) and then paint you will be in good shape. I have done this with Jeep frames after sandblasting and had great results.

Joe

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kioti LK3054

Ok thanks guys. It appears that I should start with an acid wash and then look at the Rust-Oleum products.

Elite Member

Lowe's sells a special "slick finish" primer, recommended by a galvanized metal roof company in Atlanta, for painting their roofs.