PTO Shaft Measurements

/ PTO Shaft Measurements #1  

dallydoo

Tractor
1950 Allis-Chalmers B, 1950 Allis-Chalmers WD
Hello everyone,

I need a new driveshaft to go between the PTO on my Allis-Chalmers WD and the gearbox shaft on my 5' rotary cutter. Both shafts are 1 3/8" 6-spline. I've seen ads for different length driveshafts such as 36" closed, 47" closed, 54" closed, etc. Where are these measurements taken from . . . end of coupling to end of coupling, centerline of universal joint to centerline of universal joint, or something else? The shaft that I'm currently using is 59" closed, and the measurement is taken from the centerline of the universals at each end. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated since I've never bought a new driveshaft before. Thank you very much.

Take care :)

Jay

/ PTO Shaft Measurements #2  
Local implement shop told me to measure between the u-joint crosses. I just had to have one lengthened when I traded tractors.

What's wrong with the old one? Sometimes they can be repaired. Replacement u-joints are available.

/ PTO Shaft Measurements
Hi, Fredex

<font color="red"> << What's wrong with the old one? >> </font>

A blunder of mine is what's wrong with the old one. The driveshaft was hidden in some tall grass an I ran it over with my riding lawmower and bent it up a bit. I straigtened it as well as I could, and the wobble wasn't too bad. Last night I took measurements of the square shaft that slides into the other shaft. That square shaft is NOT very square. One side was 1 1/8" long, and the opposite side was 15/16" long. The so-called square hole isn't very square, either. With that many things wrong with the PTO shaft, I think it's time for a new one. Thank you for your reply.

Take care :)

Dallydoo

/ PTO Shaft Measurements #5  
The knuckles need to line up properly on a pto shaft, or thetere will be an aweful rattle..... Many 'square' shafts are not really square, to keep this proper alignment.

--->Paul

/ PTO Shaft Measurements #6  
You need to replace any out of balance or bent shaft as it will do severe damage to the gear boxes on the implement and the pto on the tractor. Also when getting a new PTO shaft remember that shafts aren't just rated by the spline sizes. There are different shafts for different hp ranges. Take a look at this site for info: Valby Sales

Andy

/ PTO Shaft Measurements #7  
I found this site to be helpful in identifying PTO stuff. There is a rectangular shaft that is common with 1-1/8 x 7/8 use the correct PTO tube and shaft. You can do this. bjr PTO Drive shaft Identification